What birds (are you/have you been) watching? What birds have been watching you?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    ... Welsh boy, is it then?

Let's just say that I qualified on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by gradus View Post
      Two male bullfinches visiting a friend's bird table patiently taking their turn with blue and great tits and chaffinches.
      That has brought back memories of a childhood camping holiday where, at one site, chaffinches used to line up at the door of the tent at breakfast time waiting for crumbs. Learned behaviour presumably but only ever seen at that site; the more usual bird/camper interaction tended to be generalised loitering in the vicinity, with a bit of inter-species argy-bargy on occasion.

Comment

St Martin's, Isles of Scilly, outside the island bakery. The sparrows line up waiting for largesse. (Yours truly's hand in the pic.)
        Generally, the ordinary 'garden birds' are much tamer on the islands. For instance, a thrush won't bother to move from a path as you walk along it.

Comment

Lots of bird behaviour seems pure reptile/dinosaur to me..flying lizard antics, head independent of body etc.

Comment

In Chiswick yesterday, a bird in a tree I thought must be a parakeet, twittering lustily.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
              In Chiswick yesterday, a bird in a tree I thought must be a parakeet, twittering lustily.

The UK's only naturalised parrot. It's medium-sized with a green body, long-tail, red beak and a pink and black ring around its face and neck. In flight, it has pointed wings and a long tail. It flies very steadily, directly and speedily. It's often found in flocks, which can reach hundreds at a roost site. Its loud call often gives it away.

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                Interesting to watch a kestrel's head as it hovers. Whilst the wings and body are moving slightly to maintain position, the head stays absolutely stationary, presumably so that the bird's eyes can focus intently on the whereabouts of its prey below. It's almost as if there's a gyro-compass at work in there!
                Yes! Mrs CS is much more of a birdwatcher than I. But last week I was driving - along a field boundary - a long gap between hedges, and about 15-20 feet above was a Kestrel hovering over the long grass, and fascinating to watch. However, other traffic in a narrow lane meant I had to move on....

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  The UK's only naturalised parrot. It's medium-sized with a green body, long-tail, red beak and a pink and black ring around its face and neck. In flight, it has pointed wings and a long tail. It flies very steadily, directly and speedily. It's often found in flocks, which can reach hundreds at a roost site. Its loud call often gives it away.

Thanks Vints. Your links confirm it. As I was in a hurry - just stopped in astonishment at the sound (living in rural Hampshire) - and in poor lighting, all I could tell was the long tail - so I'm fairly confident I'm right.

Comment

Thanks Vints. Your links confirm it. As I was in a hurry - just stopped in astonishment at the sound (living in rural Hampshire) - and in poor lighting, all I could tell was the long tail - so I'm fairly confident I'm right.
                    Approximately whereabouts in rural Hampshire? Around here in Bracknell, (East Berkshire) they are pretty common. Along the A30, between Staines and Bedfont, one can often encounter veritable swarms of them, and that's no exaggeration.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      Approximately whereabouts in rural Hampshire? Around here in Bracknell, (East Berkshire) they are pretty common. Along the A30, between Staines and Bedfont, one can often encounter veritable swarms of them, and that's no exaggeration.
                      About 12 miles east of Southampton: never heard or seen them in this part of Hampshire.

Comment

About 12 miles east of Southampton: never heard or seen them in this part of Hampshire.
                        The way they are spreading, I am sure you will. The RSPB distribution map suggest they are pretty much already on your doorstep. Do you get Red Kites yet?
                        Last edited by Bryn; 08-04-19, 15:52.

Comment

The way they are spreading, I am sure you will. Do you get Red Kites yet?
                          Not yet (AFAIK). The nearest we see them is going north on the A34, around Newbury and to the north of there.

Comment

The way they are spreading, I am sure you will. The RSPB distribution map suggest they are pretty much already on your doorstep. Do you get Red Kites yet?
                            Not quite sure whether the bird I saw circling over the tree outside our house very recently was a buzzard or a red kite. There was a slight notch in the tail, but perhaps not big enough to convince me it was a red kite. Both types of birds are in this area.

I think it must have found a thermal, as it was going round in circles with little effort, though it didn’t appear to be doing anything very purposeful, such as looking for prey on the ground, or for low flying birds. Sometimes when birds like this appear, there is a flurry of activity from lower flying birds, and lots of squawking as they head for bushes and trees, though one summer I think I saw a whole flock of rather noisy swifts - which can presumably fly very much faster - circling round the predator, rather than flying away. On that occasion it was the noise from the swifts which alerted me to look upwards.

Comment

Are blackbirds the cleanest birds in the garden? They are in mine - I can't keep up with the demand for water for bathing.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                                Not quite sure whether the bird I saw circling over the tree outside our house very recently was a buzzard or a red kite. There was a slight notch in the tail, but perhaps not big enough to convince me it was a red kite. Both types of birds are in this area.

I think it must have found a thermal, as it was going round in circles with little effort, though it didn’t appear to be doing anything very purposeful, such as looking for prey on the ground, or for low flying birds. Sometimes when birds like this appear, there is a flurry of activity from lower flying birds, and lots of squawking as they head for bushes and trees, though one summer I think I saw a whole flock of rather noisy swifts - which can presumably fly very much faster - circling round the predator, rather than flying away. On that occasion it was the noise from the swifts which alerted me to look upwards.
                                Buzzards sometimes 'mew'. I've never worked out why sometimes they do and more often they don't. I don't think red kites ever mew! On our nearby mudflats it's usually the appearance of a peregrine that spooks the other birds

Comment

Working...
                                X