Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP Jane Bown

A fine obituary in today's Guardian for the great Jane Bown, who has died. Working only in black and white, never with flash, uninterested in camera technology, she took the defining images of her chosen subjects.

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
    A fine obituary in today's Guardian for the great Jane Bown, who has died. Working only in black and white, never with flash, uninterested in camera technology, she took the defining images of her chosen subjects.

So often overlooked it seemed to me, in favour of flashier artists of the lens. Her portraits will continue to delight the general public and the connoisseur alike.

Many thanks RT.

Comment

Thank you Richard. She first introduced me to ' seeing into ' one's subject in portraiture. No artificial nonsense. I bought the Observer for years because of this. Have portraits of Orkney poet George McKay Brown for which I can thank her early guidance. Would show them here if only I knew how !

Sorry to hear the news, after all you should be able to continue some areas of photography until you die. Such a plan keeps me going although I'll need a little invalids buggy & keep to pavements if it comes to fruition

Comment

Sounds like someone should be shadowing you, taking pictures of you taking pictures....
        bong ching

Comment

Not much response when this was announced, but just look down these portraits (a splendid one of WH Auden was typical of her work. She makes an era live again.

And scroll down these in the National Portrait Gallery
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

A couple of her striking portraits of George Malcolm here: www.georgemalcolm.co.uk

Comment

Working...
            X