Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CallMePaul
    • Jan 2014

Last Week there was a good display in Etherow Country Park in Stockport. They should be at their best this weekend, so try to see them if this is accessible to you!

Comment

• antongould
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

Its that time of year,

Just now, up in Bluebell Wood.
      Awesome ts ..... a lot of bluebells on our walk round Durham yesterday ... gorgeous ......

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

On a walk through woods around the district yesterday, I was pleased to note how many of the native variety can still be found. Bluebells are found in profusion around neighbourhood gardens, mostly of the hybrid type, distinguished by the tall straight stems and thick, almost agapanthus-like foliage springing from the base. There are also some pink-flowering varieties to be found, and I'm left wondering if these could in fact be hyacinths, rather than bluebells. I think they both belong to the same family?

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          . . . the hybrid type, distinguished by the tall straight stems and thick, almost agapanthus-like foliage springing from the base. . .
          If only it was that easy to tell native from hybrid, https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17597489

It very much annoys me that the nearby Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead continues to maintain great swathes of Spanish Bluebells and roundabout, etc.

Comment

• ardcarp
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

We're lucky to have a somewhat secret area of 'native' woodland near us which is kept as near native as possible by a local Woodland Trust. It's a mass of bluebells at the moment...and not a Spanish one in sight. But one wonders how long it will be before the latter singe the British beard?

One thinks of bluebells as a woodland species. But sailing towards Skomer Island a few years ago, a blue tinge was discernible. On closer approach, it was obvious the whole island was covered in bluebells. And not a tree in sight. Only puffins and (at night) Manx shearwaters.
            Last edited by ardcarp; 24-04-19, 23:39.

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

On a walk through woods around the district yesterday, I was pleased to note how many of the native variety can still be found. Bluebells are found in profusion around neighbourhood gardens, mostly of the hybrid type, distinguished by the tall straight stems and thick, almost agapanthus-like foliage springing from the base. There are also some pink-flowering varieties to be found, and I'm left wondering if these could in fact be hyacinths, rather than bluebells. I think they both belong to the same family?
              The Spanish bluebells do come in pink and white versions - I had both(or rather all 3) in a previous garden. The non-blue were very very much less vigorous.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Sheffield Park Gardens where Prime Minister MacMillan had his magnificent house, is full of bluebells. Mi d you the other National Trust property near us, Wakehurst Place, is similar now.
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

.... possible good news :

There had been fears the plant could go extinct, after a Spanish variety escaped into the wild.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

.... possible good news :

There had been fears the plant could go extinct, after a Spanish variety escaped into the wild.

¿Qué?

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

¿Qué?

I read that article too and was heartened for my little bluebell 'colony' in the back yard. Unfortunately, I think in this setting es una pequeña minoridad.
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• greenilex
                        • Nov 2010

I expect I am unusual - I like both sorts.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by greenilex View Post
                          And I am the same as regards grey squirrels. And this, despite their being "Overfed, oversexed, and over here" - as many people said of American GIs during World War Two. Well, overpaid rather than overfed in their case.

Comment

• antongould
                            • Nov 2010

I am therefore unusual too .....

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

They each have their merits. English bluebellls in full flow in a spring wood are a joy to all the senses, but in a garden situation the Spanish version has much to commend it, and I think the pink and white versions are pretty. At work the blue form thrives in difficult parts of the grounds and provides colour both in the gardens and for cutting, being longlasting in a vase. The bulbs are easy to recognise and remove if getting too enthusiastic, although they do show great resistance to being composted and may need several attempts!

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                                They each have their merits. English bluebellls in full flow in a spring wood are a joy to all the senses, but in a garden situation the Spanish version has much to commend it, and I think the pink and white versions are pretty. At work the blue form thrives in difficult parts of the grounds and provides colour both in the gardens and for cutting, being longlasting in a vase. The bulbs are easy to recognise and remove if getting too enthusiastic, although they do show great resistance to being composted and may need several attempts!
                                If I understood the article correctly, English bluebells have the advantage of being more prolific; but when fertilised by the Spanish ones, it's the Spanish ones that take over. Or, English bluebells run faster, but Spanish ones are the predators. I have a few English ones for nostalgic reasons - they came from a woodland at my childhood home, dug up before donating the woodland to the neighbouring village, where it's being carefully tended by volunteers. Not many bees around yet in my garden, so perhaps this year's flowers will survive another year.
                                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                                X