Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

THE QUEST FOR CREEKMOUTH

I am now able to bring the story of the "Princess Alice" tragedy to a fitting conclusion as I have now been able to visit and photograph the memorial that was created on the north bank of the river. It has only been in place four years, established by the Creekmouth Preservation Society.

This is a most noble organisation as what there is to preserve of Creekmouth is hard to discern. I have never, in all of my years of living in this amazing city, visited a more dispiriting corner of the capitol, dominated as it is by sprawling industrial sites clawing at the very edges of the river. In all of this terrain there are just left two little patches of green, neither of them in great shape, but, I'm sure, genuinely appreciated by the locals as a perch for bird-spotting on the marshes and somewhere to exercise the dogs. What this environment must have been like before the introduction of the Clean Air Act I dread to think.

Basically, it's a zone ever bit as heart-sinking as this aerial view suggests:

But enough of my moaning, nose-pinching. On the positive side, finally with the kind help of an angler, I located the memorial. I doubt I would have found it otherwise, as it's set back from the river, but there it is.

It's so easy in our troubled times to forget the miseries that have gone ahead of us, but it costs us little to stop, pause and spare a thought for those who suffered such a grim fate, as here on this spot, the scene of this country's greatest ever peace-time calamity.

Comment

I began this thread back in September of 2013 and I'm pleased this December 2014 to give full life to the loss of the Princess Alice:

In his second 'A Quiet Corner' feature, Stephen McKenna recalls the tragic events of Britain's worst ever transportation disaster, the sinking of…

Comment

Beautifully done, Stephen. Thank you for making this; it seems like a labour of love. Clever use of those haunting Sea Interludes. What was your first 'A Quiet Corner' feature, as there didn't seem to be a link to it on Vimeo?

(You remind me so much of TP - obviously!)

Comment

Wow! Superb!

[You're probably tired of hearing this, but I did a double-take at the beginning, having to remind myself it wasn't presented by your father.]

Comment

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post
            Beautifully done, Stephen. Thank you for making this; it seems like a labour of love. Clever use of those haunting Sea Interludes. What was your first 'A Quiet Corner' feature, as there didn't seem to be a link to it on Vimeo?

(You remind me so much of TP - obviously!)

Thank you so much Keraulophone and Pabmusic for your very kind words. I'm always pleased to hear the 'just like his father' line. Couldn't deny it anyway if I wanted to!

The use of the Four Sea Interludes was something of a guilty pleasure as it is somewhat overused in documentaries, but it was the perfect choice and made early on so that out in the field I was mentally storyboarding the film with it playing in the background.

Keraulophone - the first film based on a little known WWI memorial in Greenwich can be seen here:

London photographer and broadcaster, Stephen McKenna, heads to the little known Great War Heroes Corner at Greenwich Cemetery and delves into the mystery of how…

Comment

Originally posted by Stillhomewardbound View Post
              Thank you so much Keraulophone and Pabmusic for your very kind words. I'm always pleased to hear the 'just like his father' line. Couldn't deny it anyway if I wanted to!

The use of the Four Sea Interludes was something of a guilty pleasure as it is somewhat overused in documentaries, but it was the perfect choice and made early on so that out in the field I was mentally storyboarding the film with it playing in the background.

Keraulophone - the first film based on a little known WWI memorial in Greenwich can be seen here:

https://vimeo.com/109281494
              greetings and thanks SHB

Comment

Well told, Mr.McK. Thank you. Many years ago I stumbled upon the monument in Woolwich Cemetary, and your film explains it all so well.

Comment

Thanks also from me. Like many others, apparently, I did not know much about the disaster and found the film fascinating. With 650 deaths, many families who lost members must even to today have every reason still to remember it.

Comment

Thanks from me too. I've only just caught up with this. There must be a number of disasters up and down the country that are all but forgotten, one or two of them in this part of the world indeed, that would equally benefit from such a moving film. A fine memorial to those who perished.
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Very good shb....well put together....
                      bong ching

Comment

Working...
                      X