Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not for me ... Autographs & Souvenirs

This thread is all about collected autographs, concert/opera/play programmes and all kinds of memorabilia that we've collected over the years.

For starters, and I can assure you I only discovered this tonight, here's my brother in 'football mad' mode as he was then and at some point my dad has had the picture and gotten a passing Peter Osgood to sign the reverse.

More delvings into family history - my American great-great grandfather was an accountant and statistician by trade but co-wrote musical shows in his spare time. This from the Boston Traveler [sic] of 1896. My great-great grandfather is top right, his son-in-law with whom he wrote the libretti is top left, the composer centre. Frank Snow is the father of the mining engineer in the photo on the original Photo Booth thread.

Comment

That's a terric memoir, Richard.

Much more plebian is my contribution. In 2000, or thereabouts, I interviewed Tony Bennett at the Dorchester hotel where he was promoting his autobiography, co-written with Will Friedwald. I ask him to sign the book which he was happy to do.

The 'THANK YOU" was because I had got him to talk about his painting and some of his works in the book and I think he appreciated that.

Comment

Sir Dan Godfrey say Thank You

Here are both sides of a postcard sent by Sir Dan Godfrey to a female admirer in Bournemouth during December 1936 after Sir Dan had been "retired" by Bournemouth Corporation. Sir Can was in a hurry and his writing lacks legibility. It goes something like:
        Thank you very much for kind ?????? , Au Revoir Dan Godfrey.

Comment

Sir Dan Godfrey say Thank You

Here are both sides of a postcard sent by Sir Dan Godfrey to a female admirer in Bournemouth during December 1936 after Sir Dan had been "retired" by Bournemouth Corporation. Sir Dan was clearly in a hurry and his writing lacks legibility. It goes something like:
          Thank you very much for kind ?????? , Au Revoir Dan Godfrey.

Note the King Edward VIII 1d stamp issued from September, 1936

Comment

I believe he has written '... for your kind courtesies'.

Thank you for pointing out the rare stamp. David Windsor was an attractive sort. Shame he was a grade one sh**.

Comment

Originally posted by Stillhomewardbound View Post

Thank you for pointing out the rare stamp. David Windsor was an attractive sort. Shame he was a grade one sh**.
              If he,(the King), hadn't met Wallace Simpson, could we all be speaking German now?

Comment

Claims that he speculated on being restored to the throne following a Nazi victory are perhaps far-fetched, but I'm sure he would have entertained the idea.

I have long been interested in the whole abdication crisis, so much so, that I happened to stop myself and say ... 'Look, think this all through again and see it from the man's point of view. Look at it all with a clear mind,' I said.

Well, I did exactly that and after an extensive period of review (about five minutes, as I recall) I could find no redemption in the man's character at all.

Mind you, he's a rare example of a soul visibly enduring purgatory while still extant. Mrs.Simpson likewise. Sad, mean, vain people.

Comment

Great shout, shb

Even better

Comment

Cheers for the transcription, shb, - "courtesies" had never crossed my mind - it fits the probable context.

Comment

Working...
                    X