Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is not my photograph (the camera we used on that cruise was mislaid and the pictures lost forever) but something close to one I had of Gallipoli.

The whole area felt a bit spooky for want of a better word.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      Bonapartments?
      Oh..... I missed that earlier!!!

Pun of the day?

I think so
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
        This is not my photograph (the camera we used on that cruise was mislaid and the pictures lost forever) but something close to one I had of Gallipoli.

Was there a few weeks back and crossed (as everyone does) from where that photo was taken

Comment

More recent history, and happier... A pic taken by my dad on a family trip to Blackpool in the 60s. I am depicted in another engrossed in crazy golf nearby...

It's the vehicles that get me... brand new, original Vespas...

"...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            More recent history, and happier... A pic taken by my dad on a family trip to Blackpool in the 60s. I am depicted in another engrossed in crazy golf nearby...

It's the vehicles that get me... brand new, original Vespas...
            I note that the blood had not yet been washed from the streets from the previous night's mods v rockers battle, ahem.

Comment

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post

These have a particular resonance for me. My father and a friend of his enlisted during WWI, lying about their ages (they were only 15 at the time). The parents of my father's friend either complained or bought him out of the army but my father's parents allowed him to join up in spite of his age.

My father eventually fought on Gallipoli and was shot in the head. He was treated on a hospital ship and, miraculously, he survived. For the rest of his life he had two marked round hollows at the top of his forehead marking two holes in his skull - one where the bullet entered and the other where the surgeons removed it. (After the war, doctors said it was too risky to insert a metal plate to cover the holes.)

For a few years afterwards he suffered from a form of epilepsy caused by the brain injury but that eventually cleared up and he went on to live a totally normal life, dying aged 67.

I never heard him talk about his war experiences.

Comment

Working...
              X