Anyone got a good Dundee Cake recipe? (with instructions).

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone got a good Dundee Cake recipe? (with instructions).

This afternoon I was browsing some Dundee cakes in a local supermarket and they were very tempting. All the almonds were arranged beautifully symmetrically around the top and the colour was rich, with a lovely sheen on the top. Shall I buy one?

Then I thought, would I buy supermarket Cannelloni, Lasagna, Christmas Pudding or Tira Mi Su? Of course not, I have home-made ones from my mum!

But no-one in my family makes Dundee Cakes, so I thought I will have a go. Gotta be better than a supermarket effort, surely?

Over the Christmas period, at some point, I'd like to sit down with a large glass of Macallan Gold and a slice of Dundee cake.

Anyone got a good Dundee Cake recipe?

This one's from The Dairy Book of Home Cookery. I cant vouch for it because I havent tried it, but other recipes in the book that I have tried have been fine.

They treat it as a variation on Rich Butter Cake, so first here is the recipe for that, then the variations that make Dundee Cake.

RICH BUTTER CAKE

Preparation 25 mins.
    Cooking 1 3/4 hours. Serves 8 - 10

175 g (6 oz) butter, softened
    175 g caster sugar
    3 eggs
    225 g (8 oz) flour
    30 ml (2 tbsp) fresh milk
    7.5 ml (1 1/2 tsp) baking powder

1. Prepare a 20.5 cm (8 inch) round cake tin by cutting greasproof paper to line base and sides, then sticking it in place with melted butter.

2. Cream butter with sugar thoroughly for 3 - 4 mins until light and fluffy.

3. Beat in eggs one at a time, adding 15ml (i tbsp) of lour with each one. Beat in milk with 15 ml (i tbsp) of flour.

4. Sieve remaining flour together with baking powder. Gently fold in with a large metal spoon.

5. Transfer to prepared tin and smooth top with a knife.

6. Bake at 170 C (325 F) Mark 3 for 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 hoursor until a wooden cocktail stick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.

7. Leave in tin for 5 mins, then turn out onto a wire cooling rack.

8. Carefully peel off paper when cake is cold.

9. Store in an airtight container (or eat!).

NOTE: the creaming of butter and caster sugar must be done very thoroughly to build as much air as possible into the mixture.

DUNDEE CAKE

Follow recipe for Rich Butter Cake. Cream butter and sugar with grated rind of one small orange. After beating in eggs stir in 50 g (2 oz) ground almonds, 100 g (4 oz) each of currants, sultanas and raisins and 50 g (2 oz)chopped mixed peel. Before baking, cover top of mixture with 25 - 50 g (1 - 2 oz) blanched and split almonds. Bake at 150 C (300 F) Mark 2 for 2 1/2 - 3 hours, or until a wooden cocktail stick inserted into the centre comes out clean.

Comment

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
      This one's from The Dairy Book of Home Cookery. I cant vouch for it because I havent tried it, but other recipes in the book that I have tried have been fine.

They treat it as a variation on Rich Butter Cake, so first here is the recipe for that, then the variations that make Dundee Cake.

RICH BUTTER CAKE

Preparation 25 mins.
      Cooking 1 3/4 hours. Serves 8 - 10

175 g (6 oz) butter, softened
      175 g caster sugar
      3 eggs
      225 g (8 oz) flour
      30 ml (2 tbsp) fresh milk
      7.5 ml (1 1/2 tsp) baking powder

1. Prepare a 20.5 cm (8 inch) round cake tin by cutting greasproof paper to line base and sides, then sticking it in place with melted butter.

2. Cream butter with sugar thoroughly for 3 - 4 mins until light and fluffy.

3. Beat in eggs one at a time, adding 15ml (i tbsp) of lour with each one. Beat in milk with 15 ml (i tbsp) of flour.

4. Sieve remaining flour together with baking powder. Gently fold in with a large metal spoon.

5. Transfer to prepared tin and smooth top with a knife.

6. Bake at 170 C (325 F) Mark 3 for 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 hoursor until a wooden cocktail stick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.

7. Leave in tin for 5 mins, then turn out onto a wire cooling rack.

8. Carefully peel off paper when cake is cold.

9. Store in an airtight container (or eat!).

NOTE: the creaming of butter and caster sugar must be done very thoroughly to build as much air as possible into the mixture.

DUNDEE CAKE

Follow recipe for Rich Butter Cake. Cream butter and sugar with grated rind of one small orange. After beating in eggs stir in 50 g (2 oz) ground almonds, 100 g (4 oz) each of currants, sultanas and raisins and 50 g (2 oz)chopped mixed peel. Before baking, cover top of mixture with 25 - 50 g (1 - 2 oz) blanched and split almonds. Bake at 150 C (300 F) Mark 2 for 2 1/2 - 3 hours, or until a wooden cocktail stick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
      Thanks umslopogaas, that looks good

And reading through the directions, I think I could manage it.

Comment

Good luck! I havent tried this one, but I have made their steak and kidney pie and that was very good.

Comment

Fortnam and masons sell a good version with or without the whisky, can vouch for the whisky one.

Apparently churchills staff wrote ahead of his visits advising he liked a slice at 3pm.
          Annoyingly listening to and commenting on radio 3...

Comment

Punctuation?
            Like above posting, Cormac McCarthy's two new novels have virtually none esp speech marks.

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
              Punctuation?
              Like above posting, Cormac McCarthy's two new novels have virtually none esp speech marks.
              Was that necessary Draco?

Comment

Working...
              X