No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this bunkum?

I'm assuming that this is genuine ...

This mysterious ingredient was often found in medieval Arabic books of medicine and botany.

though it is getting harder to be sure that some articles are based on facts these days.

It sounds a bit 'April 1st' to me, but then I'm cynical.

I once read a newspaper article supposedly criticising M&S for advertising a very attractive women's coat (and the article carried a very attractive colour photo of a model wearing it) but making it very hard to obtain. I thought 'Is this a criticism of M&S or an advert for the coat? ' which many women would instantly want to buy .

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
      It sounds a bit 'April 1st' to me, but then I'm cynical.
      Google "coffee soap" and discover that old habits die hard!
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Google "coffee soap" and discover that old habits die hard!
        This one looks as if it could be emergency rations as well as keeping you clean! Making use of waste coffee grounds has some merit I suppose.
        The future is circular. Looking ahead, we have created a range of soaps and scrubs with repurposed coffee grounds from our café, FILTR. Free from foaming agents, nasty chemicals and artificial fragrance oils, our soap is hand-made in London using our coffee grounds and plant-based ingredients. Ingredients: arabica coffee, olive oil, organic extra virgin coconut oil, organic cocoa butter, organic unrefined shea butter, macadamia nut oil and castor oil. Weight: 110g

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

This one looks as if it could be emergency rations as well as keeping you clean! Making use of waste coffee grounds has some merit I suppose.
          https://coromandelcoast.co.uk/products/coffee-soap
          There are valid grounds.

Comment

Going slightly sideways and picking up on how to know what is genuine. I read the following as a quote, apparently from Charles Dickens, in "Landscape", a glossy lifestyle-type magazine, and it seems to be plastered all over the internet as if it's genuine. Is that likely?
            Accidentally consumed five biscuits when wasn't paying attention. Those biscuits are wily fellows- they leap in like sugary ninjas

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
              Going slightly sideways and picking up on how to know what is genuine. I read the following as a quote, apparently from Charles Dickens, in "Landscape", a glossy lifestyle-type magazine, and it seems to be plastered all over the internet as if it's genuine. Is that likely?
              Who (the Dickens) is Charles Dickens?
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

It could be someone's screen-name. Quotations and anecdotes are often re-attributed to more up-to-date names. I saw a supposed remark atrributed to Toscanini , said to express his frustration at working with Pavarotti, who was in reality only a boy when Toscanini stopped working.

At the time the famous Colin Firth/Jennifer Ehle Pride and Prejudice was first televised, a girl in our office said to a colleague and me 'hey, you know that Pride and Prejudice you were talking about? They've done a book of it now'.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Who (the Dickens) is Charles Dickens?
                  The Dickens head?

Comment

At the time the famous Colin Firth/Jennifer Ehle Pride and Prejudice was first televised, a girl in our office said to a colleague and me 'hey, you know that Pride and Prejudice you were talking about? They've done a book of it now'.

Comment

It could be someone's screen-name. Quotations and anecdotes are often re-attributed to more up-to-date names. I saw a supposed remark atrributed to Toscanini , said to express his frustration at working with Pavarotti, who was in reality only a boy when Toscanini stopped working.

You'd probably need a lot of persuasion to convince her that the book came first.

Comment

Working...
                      X