Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm afraid for me discussing peas lost its glamour with the John Major/Spitting Image sketch.

Comment

Tagore ended one of his last poems (which I set many years ago) with the line
      The imperishable right to peas.
      (I'll henceforward try to mind my Qs as well...)

Comment

I found the news report of work on producing a 'flavourless' pea fascinating. From early childhood until a decade or so ago, I avoided peas like the plague. I put this down to the flavour but I now think it more likely to have been down to all the maggots I found when shucking peas for the aunt who childminded me while my parents were at work. That said, it was mushy peas which turned the corner for me. I remain wary of 'garden peas'. I am eager to investigate the use of flavorless peas, once they hit the market. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-65610025

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          I found the news report of work on producing a 'flavourless' pea fascinating. From early childhood until a decade or so ago, I avoided peas like the plague. I put this down to the flavour but I now think it more likely to have been down to all the maggots I found when shucking peas for the aunt who childminded me while my parents were at work. That said, it was mushy peas which turned the corner for me. I remain wary of 'garden peas'. I am eager to investigate the use of flavorless peas, once they hit the market. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-65610025
          My first reaction was "how sad" as I am very fond of the flavour of peas, but having read the article I can see the reason. I do sympathise about the maggot issue. Although I didn't have too many problems facing the little wrigglers I did get fed up with the wastage they represented, which was in addition to the pods. Starting to grow mange-tout peas was a breakthrough as they are harvested before the pea moth gets them, so no chance of finding a face in the food, or the tiresome wastage of the pods since they were the bits that were eaten. I did also try sugar snap but found them more tricky - not so tolerant of the dry conditions on my allotment - and at that time there were only short varieties available to home growers, which were bred to all come in at once(as they were essentially commercial sorts, rather than for home use) which was not what I wanted, as I didn't do the freezing thing.

Comment

Working...
          X