X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Belgrove
    • Nov 2010

Sloe Gin

A rummage through the freezer yesterday revealed some sloes, picked last autumn, and forgotten about. Once frozen, one does not have to go through that laborious and messy bashing or pricking procedure, but merely combine them with cooking gin (about 50:50) and a couple of crushed almonds. A shake every week or so, and the addition of sugar (syrup) to taste only towards the end of the maceration process, we prefer a liqueur towards the dry end of the spectrum. It takes about 3 months before it's ready, decanting into fresh bottles via coffee filter papers; and so will provide a warming restorative on those cooler Spring evenings. Being dry, it also provides a satisfyingly deep savour to sauces accompanying, for example, roast duck and the like. A sweeter version is delicious poured over damson ice cream.

Any favourite recipes either to make or to use?
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

A similar process can be used for damson gin. Freezing definitely helps to break down the fruit. In most past years we threw the mushy residue away, but in the last few years we have experimented with making a sort of relish - bit like chutney, which can be used as an accompaniment to meat, such as ham or cheese.

A fellow fruit gatherer earlier suggested using the residue to make a pie or crumble, which we tried once. It was OK, though not stunning. He claimed it would still have some alcoholic properties. I can't remember or comment!

Comment

• Tapiola
      • Jan 2011

This year's batch - upon preliminary tasting, prior to bottling a week before Christmas - is, similarly to last year's and two year's ago's - not a patch on previous years'. I ascribe this to an abnormally late first frost round these parts (rural County Down) which occurred this year in late November.

My late dad always said to pick the sloes just after the first frost had got at them, generally early to mid October. Freezing them was not the same. I had no alternative this year in early October (no frost in sight), given their plump ripeness and mellow fruitfulness.

I am not sure if the superstition of the blackthorn bush exists or survives elsewhere in these isles, but the blackthorn tree is a fairy round, throughout Northern Ireland. Farmers will never cut it down for fear of incurring the ire of the fairies, who live on and around the blackthorn. Big fields exist, where all other trees have been cut down and yet the blackthorn will remain, solitary and alone, in the middle, or to the side, of an expanse of grassy acreage.

One may pick the ripe fruit of the bush with impunity, but only if each berry is then pricked by a thorn from the bush itself, thus appeasing the fairies and the spirits of the bush. A fork will not do, neither will freezing the fruit. Any deviation from this singular pricking will result in bad luck!

Anyway, once prepared, a lb of sloes per litre of gin, plus 1/2 lb sugar. Quick shake. Leave in a dark spot. Shake weekly. decant 2 months later (presuming early to mid October picking) thus ready for Christmas. That's the East Down way, anyway...
      Last edited by Tapiola; 08-12-16, 23:16.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
        One may pick the ripe fruit of the bush with impunity, but only if each berry is then pricked by a thorn from the bush itself, thus appeasing the fairies and the spirits of the bush. A fork will not do, neither will freezing the fruit. Any deviation from this singular pricking will result in bad luck!
        And you observe this, Tapiola? :-O
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Tapiola
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          And you observe this, Tapiola? :-O
          I do indeed, ff! It's "tradition", innit?

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
            I do indeed, ff! It's "tradition", innit?
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Mal
              • Dec 2016

The Gin Craze
              NEXT THURSDAY 09:00 In Our Time
              BBC RADIO 4

Comment

Working...
              X