No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AA Gill RIP

... he wrote so well

Sunday Times restaurant critic AA Gill dies aged 62, three weeks after revealing he had cancer.

It's a long time since I last read the Sunday Times but AA Gill's acerbic wit was always a highlight of my weekend reading.

RIP AA Gill.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

A great loss to an industry that's in an otherwise impoverished condition.

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        A great loss to an industry that's in an otherwise impoverished condition.
        Somehow I imagine that member Frances_iom might not entirely agree about the first part of that! But he certainly had a way with words - no doubt about that...
        Last edited by ahinton; 10-12-16, 19:47.

Comment

Just come home to this devastating news. He only revealed his medical condition to his readers a couple of weeks ago. Desperately sad, and a huge loss to journalism. His young family...one's thoughts are with them.

Comment

By contrast with his combative writing, arming himself with the widest gamut of the English language, his newspaper editor singled out Gill's compassion in foreign assignments in seeking to represent the underdog. He was a restaurant critic who had actually worked as a chef, and he highlighted some great out-of-the-way eateries. It was always fun trying to get to the end of one of his columns without having pick up a dictionary. RIP Adrian Gill. Your paper will be a much duller read now that you are permanently away.

Comment

RIP A.A.Gill - I enjoyed reading your column in The Sunday Times over the years.
              Best regards,
              Jonathan

Comment

Working...
              X