Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    ...it was just my tendency to be scatological.
    I didn't realise you sang jazz too, ardy!

Comment

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
      Oh, it might, though to what extent in the greater scheme of things it;s rather hard to determine; that said, I am also uncertain of the extent of the countermanding effect of the creation of fertilisers and their use on the extra arable land that would be required to grow more crops.
      Last week's Apocalypse Cow: How Meat Killed the Planet programme on Channel 4 (Jan 8) showed how using native weeds as compost instead of ploughing them as common practice increased potato yields for one Wiltshire farmer, who has dispense with ploughing altogether. One assumes the principle woud apply to any produce: why use sileage which only leeches into groundwater eventually to pollute nearby water courses? Untended field margins are also havens for biodiversity.

Comment

Untended field margins are also havens for biodiversity.
        ..as long as the spray doesn't get them. Bur yes they're a good idea...and don't farmers get some sort of financial reward for them?

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          Last week's Apocalypse Cow: How Meat Killed the Planet programme on Channel 4 (Jan 8) showed how using native weeds as compost instead of ploughing them as common practice increased potato yields for one Wiltshire farmer, who has dispense with ploughing altogether. One assumes the principle woud apply to any produce: why use sileage which only leeches into groundwater eventually to pollute nearby water courses? Untended field margins are also havens for biodiversity.
          Silage is animal feed.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
            Silage is animal feed.
            Of course it was slurry I was thinking of. Apologies.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              Of course it was slurry I was thinking of. Apologies.
              Although it has to be said that silage leachate can be pretty lethal for watercourses too.

Comment

Can we have Ginuary too?
                Nice Australian twang to it, perhaps, and we brought a couple of bottles of duty-free Tanqueray back with us from Melbourne!

Comment

January faces both ways...so perhaps a sprinkling of edible flowers over the vegan mince pies.

Comment

Can we have Ginuary too?
                    All in favour.
                    But alas I fear a load of calendrical puns may be in the offing.

Comment

All in favour.
                      Maybe.
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Let's get through Febrewery first.

Comment

- ready for all the 'embergers at the end of the year.
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Let's get through Febrewery first.
                            ... in which we are luckier than the French, who have to endure fèveier ( in preparation for jeûne later this summer)

Comment

Working...
                            X