X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gurnemanz
    • Nov 2010

Gin

I have never developed a taste for gin and am surprised at the current disproportionate surge in its popularity. I found myself agreeing whole-heartedly with food critic, Jay Rayner, in his uncompromising assault on the drink in yesterday's Observer.
  • muzzer
    • Nov 2013

I had a ‘gin summer’, year before last, which was fine as long as it lasted but left me feeling that Hogarth called it correctly only a couple of hundred years ago.

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
      I have never developed a taste for gin and am surprised at the current disproportionate surge in its popularity. I found myself agreeing whole-heartedly with food critic, Jay Rayner, in his uncompromising assault on the drink in yesterday's Observer.
      However JR claims to like vodka, which I’d have thought was/is just as bad. Gin is also produced by some whisky distilleries, particularly new ones, as it’s possible to have gin production up and running within a year or two, and if any profits are made these can be fed back into the business to bring new features (e.g. storage, new casks, new equipment etc.) on stream before malts can be marketed as 5 year, 10 year, or whatever ... and more serious (perhaps) profits made on the core product line.

Some accountants and business advisers have certainly noted that.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
        • Jan 2011

I like gin, I like brandy, I like whisky (or whiskey), all have their place.

Never gained a taste for vodka though, must say.

As has been stated above, gin and vodka production provide a distillery with more or less instant revenue while the real stuff matures.

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

I’m not very keen on gin, except for home made Sloe Gin. I think my overall dislike of it, however, is not the gin but the fact that it is usually accompanied by tonic - now that is the taste I dislike so when those around me are on their G&Ts I’ll happily settle for a glass of half-decent white wine - Cheers!

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
            I like gin, I like brandy, I like whisky (or whiskey), all have their place.

Never gained a taste for vodka though, must say.

As has been stated above, gin and vodka production provide a distillery with more or less instant revenue while the real stuff matures.
            Have you tried Zubrowka? It's not so poetically described, these days, but it used to carry the legend "flavoured with the herb beloved of the European Bison".

Comment

• ardcarp
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

OMG...hot Summer's day, good quality (but not silly) gin, plenty of ice, tonic (not Co-op), a slice of lemon and a few drops of bitters...Paradise.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                OMG...hot Summer's day, good quality (but not silly) gin, plenty of ice, tonic (not Co-op), a slice of lemon and a few drops of bitters...Paradise.

A Ouisghian Zodah is something I avoid like the plague.

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                  I’m not very keen on gin, except for home made Sloe Gin. I think my overall dislike of it, however, is not the gin but the fact that it is usually accompanied by tonic - now that is the taste I dislike so when those around me are on their G&Ts I’ll happily settle for a glass of half-decent white wine - Cheers!
                  Decent gin can be very good with soda water.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• ardcarp
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

Some of us are old enough to remember the fad for Mateus Rosé, an indifferent pink wine. (It came hard on the heels of Babycham IIRC.) Not many would be seen dead drinking the stuff now. After all, there's a limit to the number of bedside lamps you need. But I feel rather ashamed to say that my favourite gin is Bombay Sapphire...which I guess will follow the same path as Mateus Rosé in the history of alcoholic beverages. I find gins with a hint of raspberry or cucumber or whatever a bit like drinking alcopops. So BS with ice, tonic, lemon and bitters...as suggested above....Paradise.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                      Host
                      • Feb 2014

Only Tanqueray here: don't like BS
                      In fact, we have a bottle of BS given as a present going begging if you're up this way, ardie.

That said, Mason's Lavender gin with Fentiman's ginger beer is also rather nice!

Masons of Yorkshire is the UK's most richly awarded independent Gin & Vodka distillery with over 125 international awards. We distill the most pure & delicious gin and now vodka! We have a divine range of gin gifts & luxury gin gift sets plus Personalised Gin & Personalised Vodka Bottles too. Buy our gin & vodka online

Comment

• Constantbee
                        • Jul 2017

Mother's Ruin is a sensitive subject in our house, I'm afraid More interested in what to drink it out of these days. There seems to be a trend for the long stemmed balloon style glass. Pretty, but the stems look fragile, so for special occastions only. Better with a chunky stem, perhaps ... Years ago, you could serve it in a tumbler. Nearly had a fit when I caught the Keeper swigging it out of a coke glass the other day
                        And the tune ends too soon for us all

Comment

Working...
                        X