Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slightly stale hot cross buns

Supermarkets have scant regard for The Church's Year. They've been on the shelves since February. Maybe earlier. If you have some which are past their sell-by date, why not make a bread-and-butter pudding with them? Mrs A did one today and it was delicious. Use much less sugar than the recipe says, also less raisins if they're already in the buns. Just add a bit of extra cinnamon, possibly a spoon of marmalade and some grated nutmeg on the top.

I always think B&B pudding is greater than the sum of its parts. Certainly true here.

Thanks for the suggestion. Trying to go low carb but failing in the lockdown!

Comment

When my children were young we used to toast them and have with honey or, for me, marmalade, for breakfast. Going wheatfree 20 years ago rather put paid to that - gluten-free alternatives aren't the same although I do sometimes get them, especially if they're reduced price, and they definitely benefit from heating.

Comment

Ah, but any Hot X buns toast up bootiful.

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
          Supermarkets have scant regard for The Church's Year. They've been on the shelves since February. Maybe earlier. If you have some which are past their sell-by date, why not make a bread-and-butter pudding with them? Mrs A did one today and it was delicious. Use much less sugar than the recipe says, also less raisins if they're already in the buns. Just add a bit of extra cinnamon, possibly a spoon of marmalade and some grated nutmeg on the top.

I always think B&B pudding is greater than the sum of its parts. Certainly true here.

We made a bread and butter pudding recently out of our local bakery's equivalent of the famous Fat Rascal that Betty's sell; it was delicious!

Comment

Had to look up Betty's Fat Rascals. They sound naughty but nice.

Comment

I believe that Hot Cross Buns are not to be eaten until Good Friday, earliest - but bought some reduced a week or few ago - now in freezer for Easter.

Comment

Had to look up Betty's Fat Rascals. They sound naughty but nice.
                They are!

Comment

Great idea! Totally agreed about B&B Pudding. (Try it with a “brulée” top - brown sugar under the grill or with a blowtorch)

Haven’t indulged in the HXBs yet (been pretty carb-lite for 3 or 4 years) but going to go mad this weekend as I love em, M&S the best I think and luckily that’s my local. I actually prefer theirs toasted, so moist & fruity
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                    Ah, but any Hot X buns toast up bootiful.
                    They do indeed and I try not to think about that when I have the gf version - which for me have to be heated to make them palatable - the spices help to offset the faux dough. It's why I tend not to get them as they're expensive as well.
                    I can remember as a child the ceremony of HCBs - we rarely had bakers non-bread items so that was a treat in itself and also it helped to offset the rather awkward atmosphere that Good Friday brought to the house. My mother was a committed churchgoer and Christian and really wanted to be at church for the vigil, but my father wasn't and always resented her attendance at the best of times.

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Great idea! Totally agreed about B&B Pudding. (Try it with a “brulée” top - brown sugar under the grill or with a blowtorch)

Haven’t indulged in the HXBs yet (been pretty carb-lite for 3 or 4 years) but going to go mad this weekend as I love em, M&S the best I think and luckily that’s my local. I actually prefer theirs toasted, so moist & fruity
                      You think I’m letting Mrs A loose with a blowtorch? Seriously though, I prefer B&B pud without cream or custard because it’s somehow complete in itself.

Changing subject, I found a ton of whole figs in the freezer. (Our tree went bananas a couple of years ago.). So I’ve been jam making this pm. Best to keep moving whilst locked down.

Comment

You think I’m letting Mrs A loose with a blowtorch? Seriously though, I prefer B&B pud without cream or custard because it’s somehow complete in itself.

Changing subject, I found a ton of whole figs in the freezer. (Our tree went bananas a couple of years ago.). So I’ve been jam making this pm. Best to keep moving whilst locked down.
                        Oh very good, ardy! You knew I'd spot that pun, didn't you!

Comment

The “brûlée” idea came from the late lamented Gary Rhodes whose ‘signature dessert’ in his restaurants in the 90s (as I seem to remember mentioning on his RIP thread ) was the best B&B pudding I’ve ever tasted... brioche, fat sweet dried fruit, very vanilla-y custard binding it all together and the caramelised topping. Utterly delicious and certainly
                          complete in itself.

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            I believe that Hot Cross Buns are not to be eaten until Good Friday, earliest - but bought some reduced a week or few ago - now in freezer for Easter.
                            Well, as Good Friday (and most likely other forthcoming bank holidays) are cancelled for key workers, perhaps it will be permitted to consume hot cross buns before that date.

My favourite is hot cross bun, butter and Marmite...

... Mmm, the fruit content offsets the Marmite beautifully.

OG

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                              My favourite is hot cross bun, butter and Marmite...

... Mmm, the fruit content offsets the Marmite beautifully.

OG

Good heavens, that’s a new one

Can’t quite get my mind’s taste buds around that, will be tempted to try....

Comment

Working...
                              X