Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breakfast

Scrolling through this sub-forum, couldn't find a thread on this topic, so...

For breakfast, I tend to alternate between cereal with fruit and nuts/dried fruit/seed mix on top and what I had today which was:

Take two cloves of garlic (today one of the cloves was big and actually split into two itself, so it was like I had three) and thinly slice, then start frying in a generous wad of butter. Then add a sausage (in my case, a vegetarian sausage). Then add two or three sliced mushrooms, depending on size. At this point I drizzle some olive oil over the mushrooms and where I'm about to put the egg. Add egg on free part of pan. Add salt and pepper. Wait for it to cook. Make toast, butter toast.

Ok, it's quite simple. But today it tasted particularly delicious. I have orange juice and coffee with it.

What's your favourite breakfast?

Not that different to yours but with 'old school' sausages, bacon, tomatoes and scrambled - must be scrambled - eggs. One of life's little treats was/is to go out for Sunday breakfast at the Alex cafe at Felixstowe on the sea front.

Comment

Originally posted by gradus View Post
      Not that different to yours but with 'old school' sausages, bacon, tomatoes and scrambled - must be scrambled - eggs. One of life's little treats was/is to go out for Sunday breakfast at the Alex cafe at Felixstowe on the sea front.

I like the veggie breakfast at Cherry Red's in central Birmingham. It features haloumi cheese, whose nice saltiness compensates for its squeaky feeling against one's teeth. Also, they serve it all day.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
        Scrolling through this sub-forum, couldn't find a thread on this topic, so...

For breakfast, I tend to alternate between cereal with fruit and nuts/dried fruit/seed mix on top and what I had today which was:

Take two cloves of garlic (today one of the cloves was big and actually split into two itself, so it was like I had three) and thinly slice, then start frying in a generous wad of butter. Then add a sausage (in my case, a vegetarian sausage). Then add two or three sliced mushrooms, depending on size. At this point I drizzle some olive oil over the mushrooms and where I'm about to put the egg. Add egg on free part of pan. Add salt and pepper. Wait for it to cook. Make toast, butter toast.

Ok, it's quite simple. But today it tasted particularly delicious. I have orange juice and coffee with it.

What's your favourite breakfast?
        Should this thread not be headed: The Internal Breakfast Debate...

OG

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
          Should this thread not be headed: The Internal Breakfast Debate...

OG
          The gurgling might get rather boring after a while.

Comment

I've never really got a grip on breakfast. Been down the cereal route, done the 'full English', tried croissants, coffee and orange juice and back to cereal again. None of it sparks much enthusiasm.

Oh and I appear to be the only person in the world to utterly loathe toast!
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

1) Small glass of pomegranate juice, to help with the waterworks - it really helps, I convince myself!

2) Bowl of cereal: either Chocolate rice, bran flakes or weetabix-type Sainsbury's proprietory brand, which is much cheaper.

3) Two or three slices of toasted brown bread, preferably Tescles' Superseded Farmhouse Loaf, which for me will never be... superceded, crispy-toased and spread with Clover and good old Golden Shred, and washed down with a cuppa tea.

4) Three times a week an egg: on Wednesdays fried in olive oil, over a slice of bread fried in the oil residue; poached on toast on Saturdays, and 4 and 1/2 minutes boiled on Sundays.

I rather think I am going to have to restrict my toast to two slices each day, as this year, at present, I don't seem to be shedding the necessary pounds, which I always need to do to keep below the Diabetes Type 2 threshold, before allowing myself to re-gain weight in the winter months, when I return to having hot meals: it's just salads for me between June and October.

Comment

Cereal and toast and sometimes an egg? That's a nice, hearty breakfast, you have there, S_A.

Mine used to be more plentiful back when I would rise late enough, like 10 or 11 - I would skip lunch though back then, to compensate.

Comment

As I can eat little before my post-2230 Paper-Preview/Smooth-Classics/Newsnight Cooked Supper/Dinner (according to your region/culture etc) "breakfast" is a liquid one:
                  A row of cups/glasses with black coffee/jersey milk/cognac in variable amounts.....(Occasional treat: crunchy cereal soaked in a Starbucks Espresso Shot)... then through the rest of the day on Soup, Water, maybe Apple/Pear Juice and.... more cognac sometimes....

I love the idea of the "full English"...Eggs, Mushrooms, Tomatoes, Garlic, fried bread (scallops! they flash-fry well too...alas...the sweetly insidious after-taste can become your personal aura for hours)...... but digestion/constitution tends to say no now (IBS also in variable amounts.....hence the early alcohol; if I can't eat, I have to get some gratification somewhere...) ...

But I still fantasise about trying the big fry-up again....someday....
                  Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 23-06-20, 15:00.

Comment

Enough!

When I was working breakfast was a cup of coffee and a fag. Now that I am retired it's just the coffee. Ochone.

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                      As I can eat little before my post-2230 Paper-Preview/Smooth-Classics/Newsnight Cooked Supper/Dinner (according to your region/culture etc) "breakfast" is a liquid one:
                      A row of cups/glasses with black coffee/jersey milk/cognac in variable amounts.....(Occasional treat: crunchy cereal soaked in a Starbucks Espresso Shot)... then through the rest of the day on Soup, Water, maybe Apple/Pear Juice and.... more cognac sometimes....

I love the idea of the "full English"...Eggs, Mushrooms, Tomatoes, Garlic, fried bread (scallops! they flash-fry well too...alas...the sweetly insidious after-taste can become your personal aura for hours)...... but digestion/constitution tends to say no now (IBS also in variable amounts.....hence the early alcohol; if I can't eat, I have to get some gratification somewhere...) ...

But I still fantasise about trying the big fry-up again....someday....
                      My sympathies, jayne - I think you may have mentioned this problem before at some point. I have similar - side effects of drugs for heart condition in my case. Are you saying alchohol first thing actually works for you??

Comment

My sympathies also! I think my auntie mostly just has smoothies and water for breakfast...

I've had similar thoughts about smoking - i.e. I like the idea of it more than the thing itself...

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          My sympathies, jayne - I think you may have mentioned this problem before at some point. I have similar - side effects of drugs for heart condition in my case. Are you saying alchohol first thing actually works for you??
                          Yes it does.... takes the terror of the day away...helps deal efficiently with business emails/calls....

But.....Alcohol..amounts.... timings..? Under constant review.....(in my more pretentious moments I think of myself as a ....high-functioning addict....​I saw Nile Rodgers saying that in an interview once and thought it was........ more fool me of course. Alcohol by day, Valerian by night.... so it all goes... )

(You always pay for it later though, one way or another.....)

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                            Yes it does.... takes the terror of the day away...helps deal efficiently with business emails/calls....

But.....Alcohol..amounts.... timings..? Under constant review... Alcohol by day, Valerian by night.... so it all goes... )

(You always pay for it later though, one way or another.....)
                            ... ah, breakfast wine

A multi award winning short starring Dylan Moran, Pat Shortt and Ruth Bradley. Directed by Ian FitzGibbon

Comment

I quite like the idea of breakfast in The Shire.

When the hobbits have finished their breakfast, they have second breakfast.

But in reality, it's simply cereals and fruit.

Comment

Working...
                              X