Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food 'they' don't make any more

What food do you wish was still available? I used the word 'they' in inverted commas because it's a nebulous concept... though in practice probably means supermarkets...

1) Honey nut bran flakes. These were great - sugary for sure, but with that healthy bran.

2) Cheesy loaf of bread. This was really nice - from Sainsbury's back in the day, I recall. Must have been about 20 years ago, I recall, since I had ham sandwiches with this bread, so was before I went veggie.

3) A kind of Cadbury's variety of chocolate biscuit which was more stiff than your usual biscuit - and tastier, for that matter. Very tasty indeed, wish I could remember what it was called, exactly. Last remember having these 10 years' ago.

Waitrose used to have baked beans in a tomato sauce that also had apple juice in it. They were fantastic.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      Waitrose used to have baked beans in a tomato sauce that also had apple juice in it. They were fantastic.
      Really! That sounds odd - but I'll take your word for it that it was nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
        Really! That sounds odd - but I'll take your word for it that it was nice.
        Back in the mid 80s. It was just a base for the sauce. You couldn’t taste the apple, but they were definitely my favourite ever beans, and I really like baked beans!
        So much so in fact, that I spent one summer working as a kitchen porter in the cafe at Longleat, where beans were a non negotiable menu item.
        I did actually go off them for a short while, but got over it.

Be interested to find out what the chocolate biscuit was JK. And surely there must be a decent cheesy loaf around ?

I really like the Co-op onion small baguettes. Which they still make, so is off topic I guess.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

I like baked beans too. Had them for tea with pizza and garlic bread.

The biscuits were Cadbury's. Actually - to tell the truth, I haven't actually checked to make sure they're no longer available! I just assumed...

I've seen rolls with cheese on top of them. But you're right - there should be some bakery somewhere, perhaps in a large city, where they make a cheesy loaf.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
            ...there should be some bakery somewhere, perhaps in a large city, where they make a cheesy loaf.
            A local baker here does a Cheese and Marmite loaf - I love it! He has also recently started doing marmite flavoured cheese straws occasionally, also delicious .

Comment

Energen rolls and Huntley & Palmers Breakfast biscuits.

Comment

Bournvita

Comment

Instant whip - I particularly liked the butterscotch flavour!

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                    Instant whip - I particularly liked the butterscotch flavour!
                    Do you mean Angel Delight? Still available in Aldi, I discovered the other day.
                    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Cremola - a rice based custard-like desert. Really scrumptious.

Fru-Grains. An expensive cereal that was sold in health food shops and later in some supermarkets.

Comment

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
                        Do you mean Angel Delight? Still available in Aldi, I discovered the other day.
                        No they are not the same thing.

Bird’s Instant Whip vanished from the grocery shelves around 2004. The brand (Birds having disappeared long ago) had been sold to Kraft so maybe they felt it competed directly with the ickier…

Comment

I haven't seen Cadburys Walnut Whip for many a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                            I haven't seen Cadburys Walnut Whip for many a year.

Nestle, I think. They sell packs of three im M and S , own brand. Lovely.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                              Nestle, I think. They sell packs of three im M and S , own brand. Lovely.

Comment

Working...
                              X