Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Pasty and the Scotch Egg

Apparently Government ministers think that a Scotch Egg on its own, mind, can count as a substantial meal under lockdown eating out regulations.

However, a pasty would have to be served with chips! It was the housing secretary, Robert Jenrick, who declared that a pasty counted only if it came 'with sides'.

A real Oggie, a proper job - and I assume Mr Jenrick has only ever encountered the upstart G*****r variety - is a proper meal.

Here's twenty thousand Cornish men
    Will know the reason why!

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
    Apparently Government ministers think that a Scotch Egg on its own, mind, can count as a substantial meal under lockdown eating out regulations.

However, a pasty would have to be served with chips! It was the housing secretary, Robert Jenrick, who declared that a pasty counted only if it came 'with sides'.

A real Oggie, a proper job - and I assume Mr Jenrick has only ever encountered the upstart G*****r variety - is a proper meal.

Here's twenty thousand Cornish men
    Will know the reason why!
    Ironic that the scotch egg suggestion came from a minister who is a Cornishman - having chips with a proper pasty, would be a bit of a carbo overload with the pasty already having potatoes and pastry. Perhaps these deluded ministers think that because pasties are usuallybeaten out of a paper bag that it is not a proper meal!

Comment

Still has traumatic connections - the Pasty Tax mauling of Osbourne.

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
        Ironic that the scotch egg suggestion came from a minister who is a Cornishman - having chips with a proper pasty, would be a bit of a carbo overload with the pasty already having potatoes and pastry. Perhaps these deluded ministers think that because pasties are usuallybeaten out of a paper bag that it is not a proper meal!
        Yet opinions differ... especially in Callington!

Comment

having chips with a proper pasty, would be a bit of a carbo overload with the pasty already having potatoes and pastry.
          Reminds me of the tinned spaghetti on toast with chips that used to grace our refectory menu. I sense another U-turn might be possible if the tiddy oggyites pressed hard enough.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

the Pasty Tax mauling of Osbourne.
            A serendipitous pair of postings - made me smile.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              Reminds me of the tinned spaghetti on toast with chips that used to grace our refectory menu. I sense another U-turn might be possible if the tiddy oggyites pressed hard enough.
              Probably not in Cornwall where the ale can be ordered without a substantial meal!

Comment

Probably not in Cornwall where the ale can be ordered without a substantial meal!
                ... just after I'd told a friend of mine that I'd been exchanging messages online with a chap in Cornwall who had (thus far) refrained from gloating...

Comment

Originally posted by rathfarnhamgirl View Post
                  ... just after I'd told a friend of mine that I'd been exchanging messages online with a chap in Cornwall who had (thus far) refrained from gloating...
                  ... they may gloat - but they still have to live in Cornwall...

Comment

Originally posted by rathfarnhamgirl View Post
                    No gloat intended! George Eustice should have said ‘a pasty on its own is more than a substantial meal where I come from’ - certainly very much more substantial than an egg with a bit of sausage round it. At this point Cloughie puts his Cornish shovel away and ceases digging!)
                    Last edited by cloughie; 01-12-20, 13:09.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                      ... they may gloat - but they still have to live in Cornwall...

An imposition much to be desired! How are things in Hammersmith?

Comment

'Don't mention the bridge!'

Comment

... fine, thanks! - the riverside - and the bridge - looking exceptionally lovely this sparkling morning (tho' we pity the poor folks of Barnes who can't get over to benefit from the joys of Hammersmith.... )

Did any of those living in Cornwall see Simon Reeves' recent two-parter on the Duchy? It struck us as a very limited and slanted view. But I have no recent direct knowledge. (Tho' I was conceived in Polzeath - do I get a vote on any Cornish Independence issues??)

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                            ... fine, thanks! - the riverside - and the bridge - looking exceptionally lovely this sparkling morning (tho' we pity the poor folks of Barnes who can't get over to benefit from the joys of Hammersmith.... )

Did any of those living in Cornwall see Simon Reeves' recent two-parter on the Duchy? It struck us as a very limited and slanted view. But I have no recent direct knowledge. (Tho' I was conceived in Polzeath - do I get a vote on any Cornish Independence issues??)

It went down very well in Cornwall as it showed the real Cornwall and not just the beauty spots and the Camborne food bank which was featured has subsequently benefited from this. You may also have seen the series on Fishing in Cornwall earlier in the year which again highlighted how tough an industry it is. These were a good contrast to some programmes eg the series fronted by Caroline Quentin some years ago which was rich tourist biased!

AN 'Unbelievable' spike in donations has lifted a 'weight of worry' off of a grieving food bank manager after his work was featured in a BBC…

I wouldn’t worry too much about a Cornish independence vote - we never get anything from Westminster - we got more from the EU and even then it was interfered with.

Comment

... the tragic message of the Simon Reeves programmes seemed to be that if you were young and had any spark of ambition, the only solution was to get out - whether to Exeter or to further afield.

Yes, it well conveyed the toughness of life, and the unseen poverty of many.

Comment

Working...
                              X