Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pancakes

OK, we're just past Shrove Tuesday, but each year I ponder this question. When there are several people sitting around the table, how do you arrange the cooking of pancakes? OK, you could have a dedicated cook whose job is just to supply freshly cooked pancakes as fast as possible, but he/she misses out on the gobbling. Or everyone can take turns at cooking (and tossing ) but if there are more than 4 people involved, there have to be intervals of no eating, given the speed at which they are devoured. No problem, I suppose, if there's plenty of wine to quaff. But how do others plan the pancake routine?

I know it's possible to cook them all in advance, roll them up and keep them warm. But nowt beats a freshly cooked one.

Funnily enough on Tuesday I remembered wishing forumistas a Happy Pancake Day a couple of years ago probably on the General Chat thread, owing to the fact that I found out that I wouldn't need to have the floor of my bedroom completely redone.

My mum prepares the batter a few hours before making them and indeed there are intervals of not eating - they're eaten as soon as they're made.

Just sugar and lemon juice here.

Comment

My mother didn't have much of a sweet tooth so cooked for the rest of us to devour as they came out of the pan. When I was doing the honours with my own family I did them in small batches that could be kept warm for a few minutes, then eaten together. When the children were older I sometimes set up a production line of bigger thinner pancakes which would be suitably anointed (we were a lemon and sugar household) rolled up and put in a dish to keep warm in the oven, then put out all at once for eating with spoon and fork.

Comment

I also associate pancakes with my mother, cheerfully slaving over a hot stove as she tried to keep up with her two greedy children. Later in life we had our own four children ( five counting me!) for my dear wife to do the slaving. She made real pancakes, informing me that my mother had made drop scones - small little things. My wife's pancakes each covered the whole pan and were much thinner. Both kinds tasted great, and we too had sugar and lemon. We stopped having them years ago, but I had to reply to ardcarp's query, which seems to be that it's a mother's privilege to do the honours. Them were the days.

Comment

This is all very sexist...

I can toss a pancake as well as the next man....or woman.

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
            This is all very sexist...

I can toss a pancake as well as the next man....or woman.
            Unfortunately, I don't have any milk or eggs to be getting rid of on Shrove Tuesday. Would it be very wicked to actually get them in specially for pancakes? However, since one of my favourite puddings when eating out - if available - is crêpes I don't have wait for Pancake Day. (As far as I can remember those days )

Yep, lemon and sugar, or something stronger for Crêpes Suzette.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

This time, we decided to try something a little different. My girlfriend is very keen on pancakes generally so I bought her a book she wanted called "Modern Pancakes" which contains all sorts of interesting recipes so this time, she made Mint Chocolate pancakes for Pancake Day. They are excellent!!
              Best regards,
              Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                Unfortunately, I don't have any milk or eggs to be getting rid of on Shrove Tuesday. Would it be very wicked to actually get them in specially for pancakes? However, since one of my favourite puddings when eating out - if available - is crêpes I don't have wait for Pancake Day. (As far as I can remember those days )

Yep, lemon and sugar, or something stronger for Crêpes Suzette.
                Yes, the delicious crepes you get in France seem very different from ours (added sugar to the mix? different flour?), but on the day itself we were all musing on how much we like the trad English pancake as well. Just a different 'eating experience'.

Comment

Working...
                X