Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    ... well, I need to obtain my exit-visa to get beyond the M25 (not sure whether we can get these at King's Cross?) - and the visa for Newcastle and points north. We are equipping ourselves with the appropriate phrase books and dixonaries. I have already learned that Cambois is pronounced Camuss...

(I think I already knew that in them parts they choose to pronounce Newcaaaarsle "New-cassle" !! ... )

Or even Nyecassel.

Comment

I won't be eating anywhere indoors or doing much social mixing until we know more about the Covid 19 Indian variant - it seems to be highly transmissible and capable of getting past at least first vaccine dose . I think proceeding with reopening yesterday was just another example of Johnson's recklessness.

Comment

... well, I need to obtain my exit-visa to get beyond the M25 (not sure whether we can get these at King's Cross?) - and the visa for Newcastle and points north. We are equipping ourselves with the appropriate phrase books and dixonaries. I have already learned that Cambois is pronounced Camuss...

(I think I already knew that in them parts they choose to pronounce Newcaaaarsle "New-cassle" !! ... )

Camuss' L'Etranger??

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
          I won't be eating anywhere indoors...
          ... not even chez Barbirollians? Sounds a bit excessive

Comment

... aha! we shall be in the Alnwick area over the next week or so - one to add to the list

You won't be disappointed...

... it's one of my favourite shops, and a great place to get a bite too. Open 'til 6pm every day, including Sundays. Why do so many cafes in England close at 4pm, even in summer? It's after a good walk that one really appreciates that tea and scone!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
              Why do so many cafes in England close at 4pm, even in summer? It's after a good walk that one really appreciates that tea and scone!

One of the nice things about my summer spent in Jena (and nearby towns & cities) was the cafes open til late...

Comment

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
                A mint ice-cream cone & 1/2 a packet of Jaffa cakes in my car outside Aldi (windows open) ... got to get the other 7 melting ices back for the wife now ...
                I am looking forward to stopping off at Nardulli's ice cream parlour in Old Clapham on the way back from cycling north of The River. You just queue up and ask for something from the large selection of ice cream tubs displayed in the glass cabinets underneath the counter: the front of the premises is wide open on a half-decent day, I'm sure they won't be insisting on details registering. That'll be the extent of my "eating out" - unless its a quick French slice sarnie with unpronounceable spread and beaker of cardboard coffee from a take away.

Comment

I ordered a 'classic' fish pie at a local pub on Friday night. I briefly wondered what a baroque fish pie might be like.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                    I ordered a 'classic' fish pie at a local pub on Friday night. I briefly wondered what a baroque fish pie might be like.
                    Once you've found out, you could ask for a Renaissance!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                      Once you've found out, you could ask for a Renaissance!
                      Certainly wouldn’t want a minimalist one!

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                        Classic without trimmings, baroque with.
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                          Classic without trimmings, baroque with.
                          More architectural presentation!

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            More architectural presentation!
                            Ionic (Ionian), Doric (Dorian?) or Corinthian?

Comment

Working...
                            X