Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sandwiches

I thought there was a thread dedicated to this, but all I could find was a Classic FM Sandwich thread, so I decided to start this one.

Today I added some nice things to a sandwich I already liked a lot.

Prior to today it was: bread (of some seeded kind, already sliced) with either butter (in the summer when it's spreadable) or olive spread, German Smoked Cheese (now called, in post-Brexit Britain, 'Beechwood Smoked Cheese') olives with garlic and chillies (used to get a big pot from Morrison's - now appears to be unavailable) and Baxter's Spicy Jalapeno Relish. Several months ago I started adding spinach and today I put a chopped up spring onion on and a few leaves of basil.

Served with a few crisps and Twiglets.

... I have to say that sounds absolutely revolting!

Far too many competing flavours

simplify, simplify

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

simplify, simplify

Nope not revolting. Quite the opposite in fact.

However, I'm not sure the basil added too much. But the spring onions were a winner - compensating, as they did, for the lack of chillies in Sainsbury's pot of Olives, Garlic and Chillies... (at least compared with the whole red chillies included in the Morrison's equivalent) - source of heat...

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

simplify, simplify

Ever heard of.....
        De gustibus non est disputandum...?

AS a longterm suffers of post-colitis IBS who lives on a mainly liquid diet until that long-anticipated late "Newsnight supper"...., I can only envy those who can eat "bread"....I do occasionally risk a sandwich, with, say soft cheese, or egg and salad.... maybe some very dangerous HP sauce or Garlic puree.....
        But only ever on focaccia... the only bread I can tolerate.....

I can even enjoy the eating but..... often pay the penance later.....
        To anyone else I can only say: bon appetit! And get myself another cognac and apple on the rocks....never too early...

With the next coffee, drinking in the sunshine.....
        Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 13-07-21, 13:51.

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
          Ever heard of.....
          De gustibus non est disputandum...?

AS a longterm suffers of post-colitis IBS who lives on a mainly liquid diet until that long-anticipated late "Newsnight supper"...., I can only envy those who can eat "bread"....I do occasionally risk a sandwich, with, say soft cheese, or egg and salad.... maybe some very dangerous HP sauce or Garlic puree.....
          But only ever on focaccia... the only bread I can tolerate.....

I can even enjoy the eating but..... often pay the penance later.....
          To anyone else I can only say: bon appetit! And get myself another cognac and apple on the rocks....never too early...

With the next coffee, drinking in the sunshine.....
          1. Bread (2 slices, white or brown, or one of each if you're feeling adventurous)
          2. Utterly Butterly or similar
          3. Ham (2 thin slices or 1 thick slice)
          4. Cheese (ditto - pre-sliced saves time)
          The height of Suffolk sophistication!

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
            1. Bread (2 slices, white or brown, or one of each if you're feeling adventurous)
            Sounds great (but with real butter, nothing else ever.....been there, suffered that) but.... sauce, or garnish? Which kind of bread? Is a half or quarter slice OK?
            If I did eat it, how bad would the consequential sufferings be? (Question for me, not for you...).

But - bon appétit, whatever you eat today, again....

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
              Nope not revolting. Quite the opposite in fact.
              vinteuil described my maluns as disgusting and revolting and that was simple enough: potato, cheese, air-dried beef. Oh, perhaps it was the apple compote? Apple and cheese? Quite usual, I believe in some parts of the country. He was quite right on one point: it was a faff. But I call that cooking, and 'labour-saving' is not a description that I find has much appeal.

Oh, sandwiches: BLT
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                I take an even more minimalist approach to sandwiches than this insofar as I'll do without any butter and it's usually either ham or cheese, not both!

The truth is I don't like bread very much, especially the sliced variety, and it will usually be a roll if I bother at all, but even those from Waitrose I find too stodgy with far too much dough. Furthermore, I never have any garnish of any kind, except mustard if it's ham or beef. On the whole, I find that bread and sandwiches are vastly overrated and prefer to find an alternative or go without.
                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                  On the whole, I find that bread and sandwiches are vastly overrated and prefer to find an alternative or go without.
                  What alternative is there to bread? Every other carb requires more faffing around. I'm not surprised you think sandwiches are overrated if you have them without butter!

When I was vegan I did miss sandwiches ...ok, I guess I could have and did cook some vegan sausages and have that on a sandwich from time to time, but it was mostly humus or peanut butter on toast.

I love bread/toast/sandwiches...

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                    I take an even more minimalist approach to sandwiches than this insofar as I'll do without any butter and it's usually either ham or cheese, not both!
                    Yes!

... I think the only time we have sandwiches is when we go on longer than usual walks and need sustenance.

We use pitta bread in to which we variously have - cheese [cheddar] and either tomatoes or sliced carrots, with a good bit of parsley; or prosciutto of some kind. No need for butter, obviously. Nice and simple. P'raps a napple or a square of dark chocolate to complete the meal

Comment

I love bread/toast/sandwiches...
                      Me too. Toast and marmalade is the stand-by when I'm not feeling well and have lost my appetite for anything else. One of the downsides of lockdown is that I've been baking my own bread so haven't had a decent piece of bread for 18 months. My best attempts have been focaccia and flatbreads: edible but not something one could go into raptures over like the stuff from the local bakery, the mere smell of which …….
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

A memorable picnic sandwich in my teens when going hiking with my Viennese host was a cold Wiener Schnitzel sandwich.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                          A memorable picnic sandwich in my teens when going hiking with my Viennese host was a cold Wiener Schnitzel sandwich.
                          I wonder if sandwiches are less of a continental thing? I don't recall eating them much if at all in my time in Jena (also trips to France). I guess there are rolls - Broetchen - which aren't strictly speaking a sandwich.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                            What could be better on a Monday than thick slices of cold Roast beef topside, lashings of hot horseradish relish on a bed of watercress and rocket served in a ciabatta, with cherry toms on a side dish?

Comment

I wonder if sandwiches are less of a continental thing?
                              ... they are very much a 'continental thing'

The bocadillo, the panino, the jambon-beurre - what could be more continental, what could be nicer?

Comment

Working...
                              X