Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salt (and sugar) Tax

I wonder what Gandhi would have had to say about the UK introducing a Salt Tax at home.

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    I wonder what Gandhi would have had to say about the UK introducing a Salt Tax at home.
    A version of what goes around comes around?
    Now if the projected amount raised by the proposed combined sugar and salt tax could be directed towards ameliorating the damage caused by cuts to the foreign aid budget, rather than the Tory friends' slush fund...

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
      Now if the projected amount raised by the proposed combined sugar and salt tax could be directed towards ameliorating the damage caused by cuts to the foreign aid budget, rather than the Tory friends' slush fund...
      Spot on.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
        The purpose of the proposed taxes is not to generate income, but to encourage reductions in the amount of sugar and salt in foods. In that way it’s another example of the ‘nudge’ theory about changing behaviours. Whether it will be successful is another matter.

Interestingly, the author of the report is one of the co-founders of the Leon restaurant chain. Although their food is promoted as being healthy, there are quite a few things on their menu which appear to be very high in salt and fat (indeed, some of the burgers appear to have more calories, salt and fat than other those of other fast food chains). I wonder if his restaurants will now follow his advice and reduce the salt and fat in their foods.
        "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
        Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

Robert Jenrick on throwing cold water on it this morning- now remind me do Tate and Lyle still fund the Tories ? They certainly did in the past.

Comment

Henry Dimbleby made a good case for the report on Today R4 first item after the news so c08:10. Quite a long interview. Also towards the end (? 8:50 ) Tim Lang (poor regulatory powers for Food St. Agency) and Justin King (ex Sainsburies) with reservations.

Luckily, if on, I missed Jenrick - these days I'm retreating into my bubble I turn the sound down (to avoid despair). I can't bear listening to these shameless lying debased Johnson cabal members. (I sometimes listen to the likes of Steve Baker and Bernard Jenkin - out of morbid fascination).

Comment

Originally posted by LHC View Post
              The purpose of the proposed taxes is not to generate income, but to encourage reductions in the amount of sugar and salt in foods. In that way it’s another example of the ‘nudge’ theory about changing behaviours. Whether it will be successful is another matter.

Interestingly, the author of the report is one of the co-founders of the Leon restaurant chain. Although their food is promoted as being healthy, there are quite a few things on their menu which appear to be very high in salt and fat (indeed, some of the burgers appear to have more calories, salt and fat than other those of other fast food chains). I wonder if his restaurants will now follow his advice and reduce the salt and fat in their foods.
              I know what the marketing line is but coming from an administration that as far as I'm concerned is not genuinely(or even halfheartedly) interested in the wellbeing of the public I don't see any such money raised being put to good use, but I can see opportunities yet again for benefits to some who shouldn't be anywhere near public money.
              There is also, as always, the issue of what will be used as substitutes so that the public still has the taste they are/have become used to. The current increased use of sweeteners does nothing to modify a sweet tooth, which would be a better outcome, quite apart from any concerns about whether such substances are actually something that people (children in particular) should be consuming in quantity.

Comment

...coming from an administration that as far as I'm concerned is not genuinely(or even halfheartedly) interested in the wellbeing of the public I don't see any such money raised being put to good use
                Hypothecated taxes? This government?? Really???

Comment

Will be interesting to see the effect of the much mooted publication of calories on menus next year. With luck we will see an end to the disgraceful practice of smothering high quality fish such as hake or halibut with the ubiquitous chorizo or lentil crusting.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                    Will be interesting to see the effect of the much mooted publication of calories on menus next year. With luck we will see an end to the disgraceful practice of smothering high quality fish such as hake or halibut with the ubiquitous chorizo or lentil crusting.
                    You can tell how infrequently I dine out. I have never come across such adulteration of halibut, or other fish.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      You can tell how infrequently I dine out. I have never come across such adulteration of halibut, or other fish.
                      ... o, hake with chorizo is well good - it's a classic Spanish (Galician) recipe : la merluza a la gallega.

I wouldn't want to mess about with halibut, though - apart from lemon and some capers, perhaps

Comment

Wetherspoons have been doing this for ages. There cheese and bacon double stack burger with chips clocks in at 1700 calories - with a couple of beers that’s about a whole days calories . There used to be a pie and mash option which was even more but that seems to have disappeared. The problem is that pub and restaurant portions are enormous- a typical example being the larger size Pizza Express pizzas . The chicken biriani from our local takeaway easily serves twp people. Quickest way of losing weight - don’t eat out , don’t eat takeaways (including ready meals) and cook every thing yourself from a few ingredients. ( and ease up on the roast spuds). Lockdown has made all but the latter relatively easy but arguably a bit dull…l

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... o, hake with chorizo is well good - it's a classic Spanish (Galician) recipe : la merluza a la gallega.

I wouldn't want to mess about with halibut, though - apart from lemon and some capers, perhaps

I'm not averse to tarting up the odd piece of fish (including hake) but what's with this mania for serving puy lentil with everything lark eh? Absolutely no flavour; just extra calories so the punter doesn't go home moaning about "bloody nouvelle cuisine portions". Apart from anything else, it leaves no room for the cheese, whether before or after the dessert.

Comment

this mania for serving puy lentil with everything lark eh? Absolutely no flavour;
                            No flavour to Puy lentils? Yes, they have flavour, they are legumes/pulses, they are rich in fibre. A helping of Puy lentils is for me a bulk substitute for rice, pasta or potatoes - but healthier because they count as 'vegetables'. Fish and lentils much better than battered fish and chips (though less so if you happen to like fish and chips).

I think once you start hearing the arguments that certain diets are better for health and the environment, it's perhaps time to listen and hope that eventually more people are sensible than not.
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Apparently the Great Dictator has ruled it out.

Comment

Working...
                              X