Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jam pot covers

For once, nothing to do with Brexit or Covid, but has anyone noticed how difficult it is to find a shop that sells jam-pot covers?
    We've got figs and rhubarb waiting, but no covers. Any hints?

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    For once, nothing to do with Brexit or Covid, but has anyone noticed how difficult it is to find a shop that sells jam-pot covers?
    We've got figs and rhubarb waiting, but no covers. Any hints?
    I take it that you mean the wax paper or similar discs as opposed to Kilner jar covers.

If so try Lakeland, Amazon etc who always have them.

Comment

Tala still make/supply the traditional "jam kit" bags of cellophane covers,wax discs, labels, rubber bands, https://www.talacooking.com/products/10a01220. May be in independent shops. Otherwise, as gradus says, Lakeland is the go-to for such things, either physical or virtual shopping.

Comment

Yes, I've found them online. Have ordered some. Won't be here until Friday. But why so difficult to get them in local shops which I like to support? Doesn't anyone make jam/marmalade/chutney any more?

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
          Yes, I've found them online. Have ordered some. Won't be here until Friday. But why so difficult to get them in local shops which I like to support? Doesn't anyone make jam/marmalade/chutney any more?
          They do, and even more so since lockdown focused minds on home cooking and other quaint skills, but shops have got so fixated on promotions, of one sort or another, that keeping stock that is used all year round but in small quantities is seen as uneconomic and a waste of shelf space, exacerbated by the loss of independent retailers serving their community - the small shops on the High Street thing. Two local independent discount retail groups do have small jam and marmalade season promotions, with various bits and pieces, but only do limited restocking, so once they've sold out that's it until next time.
          A good few years ago when I discovered that the replacement bits needed for the Kilner jars I had were no longer available my online searches showed that in America such things as jamming and bottling - or canning as they have it - were (and I think still are) still part of life. The importing of a case of Mason jars plus the necessary rings started to seem a sensible and eminently affordable option.

Comment

Partly through either running short of them whilst bottling or not being able to find any on sale I usually reuse screwtop jars eg Bonne Maman shape using the heat of the jam/marmalade to seal them and cutting to size discs using greaseproof paper.

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
              Partly through either running short of them whilst bottling or not being able to find any on sale I usually reuse screwtop jars eg Bonne Maman shape using the heat of the jam/marmalade to seal them and cutting to size discs using greaseproof paper.
              I do that now as I only make small quantities on an occasional basis. So far the supply of jars has been such that I don't need to worry about new lids, but there are suppliers of replacements like this https://www.thebottlejarstore.co.uk/...ures/jar-lids/
              I don't bother putting anything on the surface of the contents as the vacuum prevents the problems that the wax disc helps to prevent with cellophane covers.

Comment

Working...
              X