Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Take-Away

No idea if anyone here ever gets a take-away. If you're anything like us until recently, I would have to say 'never'. Normally when we get menus pushed through the door they go straight in the recycling - until recently when a Cantonese/Pekinese one ended up on the table instead. Having browsed it for about a week or so, tonight we got some - me: tofu in Szechuan sauce and my mum: prawn curry, with a fried rice to share and some noodles. Very nice it was too. Will have to repeat the experience, we agreed, but - while this was reasonably priced - not too often since of course its relative cheapness is just one of the things home cooking has going for it, by comparison.

Since lockdown I've been getting a takeaway from the local caff. Good Hungarian grub with a change of specials every month as well as the regulars like gulyas which is always on. This week I had Chicken Dubarry (and a bottle of Bull's Blood). Quite expensive, except I make it do for twice as I'm not much of a meat eater. They serve it with rice and pickles, but I had my second helping with leeks and cabbage. Joseph - my adapted stuffed cabbage with a nutroast instead of minced pork might suit a vegetarian

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
    No idea if anyone here ever gets a take-away. If you're anything like us until recently, I would have to say 'never'. Normally when we get menus pushed through the door they go straight in the recycling - until recently when a Cantonese/Pekinese one ended up on the table instead. Having browsed it for about a week or so, tonight we got some - me: tofu in Szechuan sauce and my mum: prawn curry, with a fried rice to share and some noodles. Very nice it was too. Will have to repeat the experience, we agreed, but - while this was reasonably priced - not too often since of course its relative cheapness is just one of the things home cooking has going for it, by comparison.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      Since lockdown I've been getting a takeaway from the local caff. Good Hungarian grub with a change of specials every month as well as the regulars like gulyas which is always on. This week I had Chicken Dubarry (and a bottle of Bull's Blood). Quite expensive, except I make it do for twice as I'm not much of a meat eater. They serve it with rice and pickles, but I had my second helping with leeks and cabbage. Joseph - my adapted stuffed cabbage with a nutroast instead of minced pork might suit a vegetarian
      Sounds nice, FF. Stuffed cabbage sounds interesting.

Comment

For me the best savour to enhance a takeaway is a movie or a Saturday night game or variety show: they somehow seem to demand accompanying chatter so I can't think that once could munch through them whilst listening to opera from The Met - unless, of course, one was keen to replicate the opera goers of a couple of centuries ago with their picnics and social sightseeing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bella Kemp View Post
          For me the best savour to enhance a takeaway is a movie or a Saturday night game or variety show: they somehow seem to demand accompanying chatter so I can't think that once could munch through them whilst listening to opera from The Met - unless, of course, one was keen to replicate the opera goers of a couple of centuries ago with their picnics and social sightseeing.

We had The Chase and then Pointless on - standard tea-time weekday fare.

Comment

Indian for us. Birthdays and the occasional pay day treat.
            Standard stuff is great if done well. Veg Biriani, or similar.
            I can also, once in a while be tempted by a good old fashioned Chinese meal for four.
            Not all on my own of course, though I at one time knew a man who had done exactly that !!

Hungarian take aways are a bit thin on the ground in this part of the west country.
            Probably more of that going on over the border in sophisticated Hampshire.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Our village is blessed with two excellent take away shops - Pasty shop and the Chippy. The latter does great cod and chips and once home I add some Harry Ramsden Mushy Peas and a bottle of Ale.

Comment

Working...
              X