Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Bakery/Patisserie Thread

Bought some nice albeit expensive goods from a couple of different bakeries recently.

Firstly, in a bakery in Yoxall, an Oreo cake, with a biscuit base, caramel and chocolate on top and a Mars brownie, basically like a Mars sandwiched within a brownie, which was made in part with rich dark chocolate - my description fails to capture how nice these were. Also a loaf of multiseed bread which is among the best bread I've ever tried (although I didn't try some this time, it was a parting gift to my grandmother) - the bread was actually cheaper than just one of the cakes but then, the cakes were so rich that half of one would be quite enough in one sitting. I also got a Cherry Bakewell for my grandmother - three cakes and a loaf of bread: 10 pound something...

Yesterday, in a Polish bakery in Redditch a couple of expensive cakes, but they were bigger than the ones above. We had the vanilla slice yesterday; normally (the British version of) these would have icing on top but this one just powdered sugar, but it was the best of the kind I've had. And lastly what the baker called a Yoghurt cake, which I'm currently enjoying...

This time brought back the obligatory multiseed loaf and Mars Brookie. I've just googled what a brookie is and discovered that the word is a blend of brownie and cookie (duh!) specifically 'marbled layers of brownie batter and chocolate chip cookie dough'.

It is as tasty as it sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
      This time brought back the obligatory multiseed loaf and Mars Brookie. I've just googled what a brookie is and discovered that the word is a blend of brownie and cookie (duh!) specifically 'marbled layers of brownie batter and chocolate chip cookie dough'.

It is as tasty as it sounds.
      a Mars Brookie does sound nice. Never heard of brookies before.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
        Never heard of brookies before.
        Me neither, until the other day (though I am aware that my post above makes it seem as though the brookie was part of the obligatory things brought back, whereas I just meant the loaf of bread).

Comment

So, I gave up chocolate at the beginning of September with the idea of starting to have it again from my birthday (today) onwards (I did this mainly because I get a bit sick of eating it every day). Anyway, I spotted a 'Fully Loaded Brookie' in Sainsbury's a few weeks ago and decided it would be a nice thing with which to break my chocolate-fast. Sure, enough, it's very agreeable indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
            So, I gave up chocolate at the beginning of September with the idea of starting to have it again from my birthday (today) onwards (I did this mainly because I get a bit sick of eating it every day). Anyway, I spotted a 'Fully Loaded Brookie' in Sainsbury's a few weeks ago and decided it would be a nice thing with which to break my chocolate-fast. Sure, enough, it's very agreeable indeed.
            Happy birthday, Joseph!

As to bakery / patisserie matters, I'd be more than content if only I could source locally proper baguettes such as one can buy so easily in so many outlets in France; there's such a place in Great Malvern run by a Frenchman but it's at least 50 km distant - and no one seems to care about such things around these parts, what gets sold as "baguettes" being for the most part the kinds of thing that no self-respecting French person would be seen dead even depositing in a garbage bin...

Comment

Thank you, Alistair.

Comment

Working...
              X