Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
    I blame FF for enthusing me into making chutney a couple of days ago.
    I said nothing about chutney

Actually, I made some hawthorn and crab apple jelly this morning. It set beautifully but in the end only made a pot and a third. The sugar stuck to the saucepan more than last time but a kettle of boiling water soon cleared it off.

8 hours? The fruit was boiled for an hour and a half. And the juice for 25 minutes.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      I said nothing about chutney

Actually, I made some hawthorn and crab apple jelly this morning. It set beautifully but in the end only made a pot and a third. The sugar stuck to the saucepan more than last time but a kettle of boiling water soon cleared it off.

8 hours? The fruit was boiled for an hour and a half. And the juice for 25 minutes.
      The old school method with chutney was very long and slow cooking but I think modern methods and fuel costs now predominate.

Comment

Originally posted by gradus View Post
        The old school method with chutney was very long and slow cooking but I think modern methods and fuel costs now predominate.
        The old recipe book I have varies between half and 2 hours, although several just say to cook until thick which might be a reflection of old cooking apparatus.

Comment

Working...
        X