• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Both your memory and your capacity for disinterring vital evidence from the far distant past must be unsurpassed, vints!
    But where's the butter gone in those intervening years?
    Each one needs a dollop of Branston Pickle too, at least in Casa Pulcinella.

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Much further downmarket for those without the readies, thin-sliced cheddar cheese atop plain digestive biscuits: yes, you'd be surprised, it really works!
      Yep, lovely.

I’m tempted by Ard’s fig snack, and Joseph K’s sarnie, but easy on the olives.

Not so sure about S-As salad cream waldorf style thing though.

Can’t be doing with Jarlsberg though.

( On the train home from Norwich, where isnit windy and about 23 degrees I should think, and the on board catering trolley isn’t going to be good enough after a read of this thread.....so I’ll stick with my cheddar cheese and brown sauce roll)
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
        But where's the butter gone in those intervening years?
        Austerity. To be re-instated, courtesy Mrs May's promise last week.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
          Y
          Not so sure about S-As salad cream waldorf style thing though.
          It's fine so long as the celery isn't of the stringy type that gets trapped between the teeth.

Comment

• gradus
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
            Waitrose sell a very good NZ Sauvignon called the Doctor's which is only 9.5 degrees alcohol but dry . I understand some winemakers are using reverse osmosis to reduce alcohol levels in their wines.

It seems that climate change and the tastes of one very influential American critic( fortunately now retired ) have both played a big part in increasing alcohol levels.
            Tesco has/maybe had The Doctors Riesling also low alcohol (9 deg) and very pleasant.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gradus View Post
              Tesco has/maybe had The Doctors Riesling also low alcohol (9 deg) and very pleasant.
              German wines have been out of fashion for a while now, which, to me, is a shame, fulfilling as they do the requirements of the middle ground wino, such as me, (not too sweet/dry), and how they suit most main course choices, whether they be red meat, white meat, fish or veggie.

Comment

• ardcarp
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

thin-sliced cheddar cheese atop plain digestive biscuits
                ....but never eat cheddar cheese (at least not decent cheddar) straight from the fridge. It needs to be at room temp to release its full flavour, or even () give it a few seconds in the microwave.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                  Ex-member
                  • Sep 2013

As I type, there is a wonderful 550g Cyprus potato in the oven nearing the end of its baking time. I shall season it with sea-salt and white pepper, moisten the 'flesh' with some basil infused olive oil and top with grated humble cheddar cheese.

Hard to beat as a mid-afternoon snack.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                    As I type, there is a wonderful 550g Cyprus potato in the oven nearing the end of its baking time. I shall season it with sea-salt and white pepper, moisten the 'flesh' with some basil infused olive oil and top with grated humble cheddar cheese.

Hard to beat as a mid-afternoon snack.
                    Earlier on, on Channel 4's A New Life in the Sun, Opuntia ("Prickly Pear") cacti, which grow everywhere on Majorca, were being demonstrated for inclusion in Mexican tortilla dishes. You had first to scrape off the external spikes, it was mentioned ; one of the presenters, offered the green squelch scooped from inside like from an avocado pear but greener and slimier, said "Mmm, tastes like fresh beans". The Balearics were being strongly touted as a wonderful part of the world to retire to. Ooooh_no_it_ain't, I said to the TV - not after the other day's storm!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

Earlier on, on Channel 4's A New Life in the Sun, Opuntia ("Prickly Pear") cacti, which grow everywhere on Majorca, were being demonstrated for inclusion in Mexican tortilla dishes. You had first to scrape off the external spikes, it was mentioned ; one of the presenters, offered the green squelch scooped from inside like from an avocado pear but greener and slimier, said "Mmm, tastes like fresh beans". The Balearics were being strongly touted as a wonderful part of the world to retire to. Ooooh_no_it_ain't, I said to the TV - not after the other day's storm!
                      The Balearics aren't a patch on the Agean!

I always have prickly pears prepared by a local. I once had prickles in various parts of my hands for 6 months post-hoc!

Comment

Working...
                      X