Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beer

I don't see why the wine drinkers should have it all to themselves. So a beer thread.
    people who want to know why I am posting this at 3.40 AM can mind their own business!
    Any road up, a beer thread is a good opportunity to celebrate something local , a well as the good stuff from round the world.
    So, though I am not a real ale expert, my current fave beer is "Quiver " by Bowmans . Just yum.
    Give it a try.
    In fact, ask for one next time you are at the RAH, or perhaps your local concert venue (good luck with that one!)
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Ringwood's "Old Thumper" for me http://www.ringwoodbrewery.co.uk/beers/beer.aspx?bid=3
    Or Adnam's "Broadside"
    Or Hook Norton's "Old Hooky"

"...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Caliban has just named two of my favourite breweries. A bit of a beer desert once you cross Offa's Dyke, we're largely reliant on imports which travel with varying degrees of success. There are breweries in Wales, such as this - this is usually pronounced "Feeling foul". Our local now keeps Doom Bar which is good - but chiefly I look forward to my annual Adnams pilgrimage to Suffolk, stopping off for some Hook Norton on the way.

There are a few microbreweries of course, but generally the Welsh don't get the hang of bitter. This not bad, but tastes of fruit cake.

Comment

... not really a beer or pub man - but when I'm up for it, I still like the Wadworth's 6X of my youth.

For domestic use, a supply of Hoegarden white beer and Leffe blonde.

Comment

President Obama has been making beer a theme of his election tours in the American mid-west. I'm not convinced he actually likes the stuff, but i suppose someone must..... Myself, I drink shandy, not even half-and-half.

Comment

I lived in Germany for five years and German beer is, of course, very good, usually in the Pilsener style and far better than most of the lagers that they dish up here. I also liked the Weizenbier (wheat beer, now popular over here as well) but one of the main things I missed from home was a decent pint of bitter. Two ongoing favourites are Fullers ESB and Timothy Taylor's Landlord.

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
              Ringwood's "Old Thumper" for me http://www.ringwoodbrewery.co.uk/beers/beer.aspx?bid=3
              Or Adnam's "Broadside"
              Or Hook Norton's "Old Hooky"

Blimey Cali, you do enjoy strong beers

I've not tried Old Thumper but shall do so at the first opportunity on your recommendation - although I may have difficulty preventing this line from their website from spoiling my enjoyment ..." Ringwood's most iconic beer"

What can it mean?

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                Caliban has just named two of my favourite breweries. A bit of a beer desert once you cross Offa's Dyke, we're largely reliant on imports which travel with varying degrees of success. There are breweries in Wales, such as this - this is usually pronounced "Feeling foul". Our local now keeps Doom Bar which is good - but chiefly I look forward to my annual Adnams pilgrimage to Suffolk, stopping off for some Hook Norton on the way.

There are a few microbreweries of course, but generally the Welsh don't get the hang of bitter. This not bad, but tastes of fruit cake.
                Ah well, your mistake is in looking southwards for good Welsh ale, RT.

This gem in North Wales has just won Camra's Pub of the Year Award & brews its own

It doesn't have a telly either

Admission: I was in school with the landlord

Comment

.... i don't drink it now but Ruddles County was the locally brewed wonder in the middle kingdom .... long since sold out to corpbrewstink etc .... so the local is now supplied from here by the ex chief brewer of the aforesaid ... he did have jazz in the pub on a Sunday afternoon Mr Skidmore, Tony Kofi etc .... but lost too much £ doing it ... nice try tho
                  According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                    Blimey Cali, you do enjoy strong beers

I've not tried Old Thumper but shall do so at the first opportunity on your recommendation - although I may have difficulty preventing this line from their website from spoiling my enjoyment ..." Ringwood's most iconic beer"

What can it mean?
                    At this stage, easily in line for Daftest Thing of the day award !

back to beer, and i have a gripe.(not due to too many "Quivers !).
                    I would like to buy decent bottled beer in 250 ML bottles. But I can't. You can buy as much and as many fizzy french lagers as you want(which may not be many) in this size, but all decent bottled stuff seems to come in 330 or usually 500ML.

I feel sure they are missing out on a good market..work nights I just fancy a quick reviving slurp of something decent.
                    I too often revert to the fizzy french stuff, by default. I have the same complaint about decent ciders, too.
                    Perhaps I should email Tesco.
                    Or does anybody know of a beer sold in this size?
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                      Ah well, your mistake is in looking southwards for good Welsh ale, RT.

This gem in North Wales has just won Camra's Pub of the Year Award & brews its own

It doesn't have a telly either

Admission: I was in school with the landlord
                      This is the sort of place I wish was in walking distance of my house, ams

Comment

The Black Sheep Brewery in Masham does a couple of my favourites: Black Sheep Ale and Riggwelter. Both wonderfully treacle-y and pleasantly smoky-coffee-ish (the former taking on even more flavours with a 10-year-old Macallan "chaser". Wouldn't advise any chaser with Riggwelter if you have to then climb any stairs or rise from your seat quickly!)

Cheers! (Ooops: wrong thread!)

EDIT: preferred "treacle" to "liquorice" (in spite of the "liquor").
                        Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 20-08-12, 15:46.
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                          This is the sort of place I wish was in walking distance of my house, ams
                          Me too, RT

Comment

Batemans XXXB
                            Tim Taylors Landlord
                            and Broadside

are fairly unbeatable IMV

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                              .... my current fave beer is "Quiver " by Bowmans...
                              Yes, also Bowman's Swift One and Wallops Wood - they're brewed about five miles from me (and I don't think they get much further, so tough on the RAH Bars!).

Also Ringwood Best, Timothy Taylor Landlord and Old Hooky .

Comment

Working...
                              X