X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

L'bistro de la gare

Plat du jour

Gigot aux flageolets

(Flageolets cooked with a piece of garlic sausage)

Time: Bruckner 9, should do it for the meat. Beans were cooked this morning and will be réchauffés, with meat juices poured over them.

Bistro Frank always let down by vin très ordinaire ...

I love the bistros/restaurants which are frequented by locals and serve good food and wine. Le Havre is nice, also Disentis in Graubünden. We don't really have such simply good places here - or do we?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    I love the bistros/restaurants which are frequented by locals and serve good food and wine. Le Havre is nice, also Disentis in Graubünden. We don't really have such simply good places here - or do we?

It's tough to find at a sensible price. Where you find quality + simplicity, you usually pay a price premium for the slightly precious, post-modern purity of the place.

I'm a big fan of this place: http://www.allinlondon.co.uk/restaur....php#ailreview .. just round the corner from the Wigmore.

One menu. Amazing steak. But it's not cheap...

There's one in Manchester as well as a couple of others in London http://www.relaisdevenise.com/
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Plat du jour

Gigot aux flageolets

Time: Bruckner 9, should do it for the meat. Beans were cooked this morning and will be réchauffés, with meat juices poured over them.

When in Paris, don't go for the posh places, look out for those packed out with locals, was always dad's advice.

Comment

For Euston
        I would go to Diwana

Drummond street

for Waterloo

the Olympic Cafe in Lower Marsh

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          One menu. Amazing steak. But it's not cheap...
          Sounds gr-r-r-reat if you're a steak eater - I can't remember when I last ate any steak - though I did have a salt beef sandwich at Brown's the other day
          When in Paris, don't go for the posh places, look out for those packed out with locals, was always dad's advice.
          Gastronomically sound when in Paris . Moi, on the other hand, tend to dislike places that feel crowded, but I have the option of eating extremely early - which usually suits me.

But the phénomène to which I referred was the actual station caff. A lot depends on it having a busy street entrance (as in Le Havre).

The old Station Hotel in Aberdeen used to be one of the places to eat many years ago, but even that was a posh diner. [In Switzerland I've also eaten well and very cheaply on the Dish of the Day in very busy Co-op eateries. Each week it's the same Dish o' the Day in all their restaurants. But that's getting away from stations.]

This is more the kind of place, good for a local Swiss dish ....
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Plat du jour

Gigot aux flageolets

Gigot d'agneau? Needs a half-decent Cote du Rhone!

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
              Gigot d'agneau? Needs a half-decent Cote du Rhone!
              So it may do, but it didn't get it. I would probably have gone for a Bordeaux if I hadn't already got a Dry Red ΤΟΠΙΚΟΣ ΟΙΝΟΣ ΠΑΦΟΥ 2009 from the Coop

Comment

But the phénomène to which I referred was the actual station caff. A lot depends on it having a busy street entrance (as in Le Havre).

... ah well, if it comes to eating in the station itself -

SITE OFFICIEL | Restaurant Gastronomique Le Train Bleu, Gare de Lyon - Avec Bar, Cadre d'Exception, Cuisine Gastronomique Française - Produits Frais & de Saison - Réunion & Conférences

Comment

But the phénomène to which I referred was the actual station caff.
                  Yes! I remember getting off the train at Nice station having spent a holiday along the coast, and having a couple of hours before a lift to the airport. It being lunchtime - ahem - Caliban set to and had a spot of lunch at the station caff... A perfect meal of the sort you mention, though can't remember exactly what, with one exception: the thing I remembered for years (and occasionally dreamt about ) was the best vanilla ice-cream I had or have ever had
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                    ... ah well, if it comes to eating in the station itself -

www.le-train-bleu.com/uk/index.php
                    "then granted historical monument status in 1972 by André Malraux". What would the equivalent be in English, I wonder ... Closest I've got to the Train bleu is the Train jaune. I went up the mountains empty-handed and, much to my surprise, descended with an Afghan rug which I had bought.

Calibs - yes, exact. My version of vanilla ice-cream would be white asparagus in Chur station caff.

Comment

Unfortunately my trains from Paris have been banished from the Gare de Lyon to the Gare de Bercy, which is a twenty minute walk away and has all the glamour of a goods siding. Lunch at Le Train Bleu now requires a constant eye on the clock, which is never a good idea.

Comment

Working...
                      X