Last edited by mercia; 11-10-12, 06:03.

Originally posted by mercia View Post
    wow, just came across this - Romanesco broccoli - isn't it wonderful
    have you eaten any ?
    No, but I now want to grow it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      No, but I now want to grow it.
      Oops! This page could not be found. The good news is that the page you are looking for is probably here somewhere. There are three things you can do to find the page you want. You can use the search box to help find it - most often it will turn up in the search results. If that doesn't work,

looks as if it takes up a lot of room in the veg. patch
      Last edited by mercia; 11-10-12, 11:11.

Comment

Sorry to be a wet blanket but as far as I know, Romanesco broccoli is more cauliflower than broccoli than the name may suggest. Each plant grows one solid head rather than loose/soft bunches of flower heads. I gave up growing cauliflowers and broccoli because they tend to come more or less all at the same time, and as I could only grow them in summer, they did not stay as tight heads more than a few days the most. Plus by the time the ‘heads’ were ready, all those little nooks and crannies had been taken up by various inhabitants…

This may well be one of those vegetables that are best bought when you fancy it. I am perfectly happy with old-fashioned purple sprouting to see me through late winter and well into spring.

Still, it was some time ago when I grew them and things might have changed, so good luck, Bryn, if you are going to try, and do keep us posted.

Comment

I havent tried it, but am tempted to have a go. To quote from the Plant World Seeds catalogue:

ROMANESCO

£1.60 BROCCOLI - MINIMUM OF 150 SEEDS

This celebrated Italian heirloom produces attractive lime green heads made up of a mass of small conical florets. It has a superb flavour, a more tender texture than regular broccoli, and grows exceptionally well in cool, Northern areas.

Comment

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
            This may well be one of those vegetables that are best bought when you fancy it.
            I'm sure you're right
            is it readily available in the shoppes?

Comment

I'm sure you're right
              Ah, that’s the point. I have seen it in Sainsbury’s but they don’t have it in their online list at present.

Comment

mercia - thanks for the links. How absolutely fascinating!

Look for the Fibonacci numbers in fruit.

What about a banana? Count how many "flat" surfaces it is made from - is it 3 or perhaps 5? When you've peeled it, cut it in half (as if breaking it in half, not lengthwise) and look again. Surprise! There's a Fibonacci number.
                What about an apple? Instead of cutting it from the stalk to the opposite end (where the flower was), i.e. from "North pole" to "South pole", try cutting it along the "Equator". Surprise! there's your Fibonacci number!
                My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

I'm sure you're right
                  I've encountered it in Waitrose and in my local farmers' market.

It's great to look at but a bit of a so'n'so to cook because your instinct tells you to keep it whole to preserve that extraordinary shape but your experience as a cook tells you to chop it up for even-steaming, thus losing the shape.

And in the end its flavour is nor more/less than cauliflower or broccoli - nice enough but it's got to be served al dente rather than mushy

Comment

I don't think I would eat it
                    just stare at it and dream psychedelic dreams ..................

Comment

I've seen it at several street markets (tho possibly not so much this year) in SE, taste is same as cauliflower tho seems to keep a bit firmer during cooking

Comment

I would have had it in my veggie box yesterday, except I only order once a fortnight and yesterday wasn't my day.

This is their recipe (which I shall make using broccoli in a minute).
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Talking about self-similarity (Re: mercia’s link), last winter, quite a lot of my Brussels sprouts had rows of mini Brussels sprouts on their somewhat overgrown stalks. Imagine each mini BS will be growing mini-mini sprouts, and each mini-mini-BS will be growing mini-mini-mini….

Comment

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
                            Talking about self-similarity (Re: mercia’s link), last winter, quite a lot of my Brussels sprouts had rows of mini Brussels sprouts on their somewhat overgrown stalks. Imagine each mini BS will be growing mini-mini sprouts, and each mini-mini-BS will be growing mini-mini-mini….
                            ... as Swift put it in 1733 -

So, naturalists observe, a flea
                            Has smaller fleas that on him prey;
                            And these have smaller still to bite 'em,
                            And so proceed ad infinitum...

Comment

It's a tribute to this community that even in the Refreshment Room the talk is of fractals, the Fibonacci sequence and Swift's On Poetry: A Rhapsody.

The pasta was excellent, drizzled with Olive oil aromatizzato al tartufo bianco. Adds a delightful tincture to the taste of the broccoli. Plus Coop plonk.
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                              X