Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food Miles

Ok cards on table time. Just had a nice box of grapes from my local supermarket.
    Up sides: 98p, one of my 5 a day, and they tasted nice and fresh.

Downsides? grown in Brazil, so now I feel guilty.
    So, do folks take any notice? grapes have to come a fair distance to the UK in November, so perhaps I should boycott them.
    and what about all you New World wine guzzlers...any little pangs of guilt?

Now, just got to check where tomorrows lunch came from, though its getting eaten either way. Surely the parsnips can't have come from south America?.....
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
    . . . Downsides? grown in Brazil, so now I feel guilty.
    Major Brazilian importer and distribution company located in Sao Paulo is looking to import British Cheese with focus on gourmet, fine quality food.

Global village?
    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      Ok cards on table time. Just had a nice box of grapes from my local supermarket.
      Up sides: 98p, one of my 5 a day, and they tasted nice and fresh.

Downsides? grown in Brazil, so now I feel guilty.
      So, do folks take any notice? grapes have to come a fair distance to the UK in November, so perhaps I should boycott them.
      and what about all you New World wine guzzlers...any little pangs of guilt?

Now, just got to check where tomorrows lunch came from, though its getting eaten either way. Surely the parsnips can't have come from south America?.....
      Maybe not, but it's getting increasingly difficult to find even seasonal fruit & veg from the UK.

I recently spurned asparagus from Peru, but happily bought Peruvian avocados. My reasoning was that Asparagus is grown in the UK, & has a very specific (short) season, whereas avocados aren't. I was also quite pleased to find avocados (which I like) which weren't from Israel.

Comment

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
        Maybe not, but it's getting increasingly difficult to find even seasonal fruit & veg from the UK.
        is it ?
        I find that going down to the allotment a useful technique

Asparagus only has a short season, why eat it all year round ?

Comment

I recently spurned asparagus from Peru, but happily bought Peruvian avocados. My reasoning was that Asparagus is grown in the UK, & has a very specific (short) season, whereas avocados aren't. I was also quite pleased to find avocados (which I like) which weren't from Israel.

I once had a little fit in Sainsbury's in January when I found a bunch of spring onions about to go into my basket when I asked myself where they'd come from at that time of year - Mexico!

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
            is it ?
            I find that going down to the allotment a useful technique

Asparagus only has a short season, why eat it all year round ?
            I eschew all imported asparagus but commit myself to a total gorge on it while it's in season in UK - its short season is part of its delight in this household.
            Last edited by Guest; 11-11-12, 10:17. Reason: redundant apostrophe

Comment

I recently spurned asparagus from Peru
              I'd love to have been in the veg aisle to watch that
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                I eschew all imported asparagus but commit myself to a total gorge on it while it's in season in UK - it's short season is part of its delight in this household.

Comment

For centuries we've always had to import fruit - think bananas and pineapples! I have no problem in buying imported fruit or veg we simply cannot grow in the UK, if we want to consume it we have to import it, but when it comes to strawberries and asparagus which we grow superbly I totally agree with the comments above - the season is something to look forward to, to stuff ourselves with the lovely stuff and then that's it until next year. Surely that's the joy of eating seasonally? There is no joy in eating tasteless strawberries from Spain or asparagus from Peru in January.

Surely we all look forward to the first sprouts of the Winter?

Comment

>>>
                    Surely we all look forward to the first sprouts of the Winter? <<< ....NNnoooooooooooo!!! UGH!!

I wonder if they eat sprouts in Brazil....or South America even....How many other countries in the world eat sprouts????....I wonder....
                    bong ching

Comment

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                      I wonder if they eat sprouts in Brazil. . .
                      Never mind Brazil - I wonder if they eat sprouts in Brussels.
                      My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Many people look forward to the first celery of..er...the celery season !
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

According to wiki: Forerunners to modern Brussels sprouts were likely cultivated in ancient Rome. Brussels sprouts as we now know them were grown possibly as early as the 13th century in what is now Belgium. The first written reference dates to 1587 It also states the largest producer of sprouts is The Netherlands, followed by Germany.

I love them!! Although I'm not sure why they should only be eaten after the first frost. However, I would have no wish to be able to eat them in July. Our greengrocer is very good at stocking home produced, seasonal, fruit and veg and has at the moment quinces (which you won't find in any supermarket) and lately red chard, salisfy, etc. If we all ate with the seaons it would give such a boost to British farming.

Comment

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                            >>>
                            Surely we all look forward to the first sprouts of the Winter? <<< ....NNnoooooooooooo!!! UGH!!
                            actually they need the first frost to improve the taste, when if the smaller ones are chosen and not overcooked they can be great

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                              According to wiki: Forerunners to modern Brussels sprouts were likely cultivated in ancient Rome. Brussels sprouts as we now know them were grown possibly as early as the 13th century in what is now Belgium. The first written reference dates to 1587 It also states the largest producer of sprouts is The Netherlands, followed by Germany.

I love them!! Although I'm not sure why they should only be eaten after the first frost. However, I would have no wish to be able to eat them in July. Our greengrocer is very good at stocking home produced, seasonal, fruit and veg and has at the moment quinces (which you won't find in any supermarket) and lately red chard, salisfy, etc. If we all ate with the seaons it would give such a boost to British farming.

Re sprouts, heresy no doubt, but though I like fresh, I prefer frozen.....they seem to be a little sweeter.

Excellent point about supporting farmers.

Comment

Working...
                              X