No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
    Some delicious ideas here.

But I want to digress a little with a rather tortuous justification concerning the colloquial 'porridge' and healthy food. It was in the 1980s (about 1987 or 1988 I think) that the Prison Service commissioned a report from Surrey University about the prison diet. Yes, there was porridge most days. Anyway, as a result the ration scales were revised (and porridge all but disappeared). One of the changes was to replace half the flour ration with wholemeal flour (most prisons baked their own bread, you see).

Now this caused headaches for the caterers. Should they bake one batch of white and one of wholemeal, and put both out at the hotplates? Should they mix it all together and make whit(ish) bread? Or what other solution?

Pab was Deputy Governor of a small prison not far from London at the time and we decided to bake two batches - white and wholemeal. Trouble was, no-one wanted the wholemeal (and I really do mean no-one). I stood by the hotplate that first meal-time and remember a burly armed robber waving a piece of wholemeal bead at me and saying (a quote indelibly etched into my memory) "You really expect me to eat this wog food!".

We soon went over to mixing the two flours and producing off-white bread.
    Truly you were years ahead of Jamie Oliver then, Pabs

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
      Truly you were years ahead of Jamie Oliver then, Pabs
      I suppose the situation was more like Oliver Twist, except 'Oliver' didn't ask for more.

Comment

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
        I suppose the situation was more like Oliver Twist, except 'Oliver' didn't ask for more.
        "That's what happens when you start thinking, young 'un", said Mrs Bumble

Comment

Working...
        X