No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jammy politicians should preserve sugar levels

I don't get it.

Ministers intend to relax regulations governing the minimum level of sugar which a product calling itself jam or marmalade can contain.
    Surely in the obesity war people should be encouraged to have smaller portions and less often, rather than diluting down the flavour (and losing the natural preserving properties of the sugar content)?

"At the minute, we've got a jam that we know exactly what it's like. It's a fantastic colour, a really good shelf life - it's going to last a year - it's beautiful consistency, it's got a gloss to it."
    Don't you agree?
    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

No - 60% sugar is far too much. When I make jam I use less than 50%. That way I can taste the fruit.

It's true that the jam doesn't last so long once it's opened, but it doesn't need to.

I don't know about American jam, but to assert that ours is a superior product to French or German is as ludicrous as claiming that the rubbish we call chocolate is better than theirs.

Comment

Jam lasts a long time in our house, we use it sparely. But I take your point.
      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

the real anti-sugar legislation should be aimed at the 'cola's of the world - they are pushed too much towards children with too large a serving and if they don't contain sugar often contain some what dodgy sweetners - the other being breakfast cereals that often contain more sugar than cereal. Canned carbonated water would be much better (apparently carbonating the water makes it easier to can or bottle - I presume by ensuring no or less dissolved oxygen)

Comment

Absolutely, Frances. I shudder when I see the lard mountains in the supermarket stocking up on Lucozade etc. (once they have fought their way past the stacks of tins of chocolates and toffees!) If they are tinkering with jam because of the obesity issue then they are fighting the wrong battle.

One thing that I just don't get is how people only seem to want to do something about their weight once it is too late.

Action needs taking when the waistline goes up the first inch.
          Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
            the real anti-sugar legislation should be aimed at the 'cola's of the world - they are pushed too much towards children with too large a serving and if they don't contain sugar often contain some what dodgy sweetners - the other being breakfast cereals that often contain more sugar than cereal. Canned carbonated water would be much better (apparently carbonating the water makes it easier to can or bottle - I presume by ensuring no or less dissolved oxygen)
            Top post frances - the Mexican government is planning to take action on sugar in soft drinks for this very reason. Will the UK government follow suit? Left alone, will they buffalo

Anyone fancy starting a lobby while we still can?

Comment

the real anti-sugar legislation should be aimed at the 'cola's of the world - they are pushed too much towards children with too large a serving and if they don't contain sugar often contain some what dodgy sweetners - the other being breakfast cereals that often contain more sugar than cereal.

And did anyone else see Trust Me, I'm a Doctor a couple of weeks ago? More sugar in a supermarket "Smoothie" than in a glass of Cola!
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

And did anyone else see Trust Me, I'm a Doctor a couple of weeks ago? More sugar in a supermarket "Smoothie" than in a glass of Cola!

The same goes for cartons of fruit juice, such a healthy drink (!) full of 'natural' sugars - you should only drink one glass/day but I used to drink far more in blissful ignorance. I'm sure that it contributed to my developing type II diabetes.

Fruit juice/Smoothie containers need a health warning.

Comment

the real anti-sugar legislation should be aimed at the 'cola's of the world...
                  Yes, and the fruit juices - I agree with all of that.

And I agree that jam has a very small role in causing obesity.

But to argue that British jam is superior to the stuff they produce on the continent because of its high sugar content is xenophobic nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

Yes, I think that cartons of "fresh" orange juice have as many calories as cola. But it's all down to the quantity consumed. Hopefully you would not consume a litre of a smoothie in one go. But many consume vast quantities of cola.
                    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by jean View Post
                      But to argue that British jam is superior to the stuff they produce on the continent because of its high sugar content is xenophobic nonsense.
                      I'll concede that.

But doesn't the UK have the best of everything in the opinion of politicians?
                      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                        The same goes for cartons of fruit juice, such a healthy drink (!) full of 'natural' sugars - you should only drink one glass/day but I used to drink far more in blissful ignorance. I'm sure that it contributed to my developing type II diabetes.

Fruit juice/Smoothie containers need a health warning.
                        When she was young we noticed our daughter was starting to enlarge - then we realised just how much apple juice she was consuming. It was soon sorted
                        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

<<Ms Munt, the MP for Wells in Somerset... told the BBC: "I'm actually quite worried because I think this is going to be the end of the British breakfast as we know it">>

It must be reassuring to know that your politicians worry about major threats to western civilization. (is there an "irony intended" icon?)

Comment

Well I take this all very seriously. It has put me right off jam and marmalade. I will stop spreading the latter on my fried bread with immediate effect. :an emoticon would surely be superfluous:
                            Last edited by Bryn; 30-10-13, 12:03. Reason: Saturated fat induced typo.

Comment

Originally posted by jean View Post
                              to argue that British jam is superior to the stuff they produce on the continent because of its high sugar content is xenophobic nonsense.
                              This is true.

Comment

Working...
                              X