Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soup Kitchen

It's coming into Winter and I do enjoy a bowl of soup with crusty bread and perhaps a hunk of cheese, but I hardly ever make it except for cawl which takes hours and is technically a broth or even two courses, reaching for a tin of Baxters (my preferred brand) is so easy. However, I would like at weekends a wholesome pot of something simmering away and smelling delish. I have frenchie's Ribollita from another thread, and did ask teamsaint for his celery & onion (but think he didn't notice the request!)

Also, my grandmother used to make onion soup - not a French brown onion style one - but a delicious and creamy white onion one which used to magically appear if we had coughs and colds, I would love a recipe for that. But really, any tried and tested would be welcome, seasonal and vegetarian if poss.

Originally posted by Anna View Post
    It's coming into Winter and I do enjoy a bowl of soup with crusty bread and perhaps a hunk of cheese, but I hardly ever make it except for cawl which takes hours and is technically a broth or even two courses, reaching for a tin of Baxters (my preferred brand) is so easy. However, I would like at weekends a wholesome pot of something simmering away and smelling delish. I have frenchie's Ribollita from another thread, and did ask teamsaint for his celery & onion (but think he didn't notice the request!)

Also, my grandmother used to make onion soup - not a French brown onion style one - but a delicious and creamy white onion one which used to magically appear if we had coughs and colds, I would love a recipe for that. But really, any tried and tested would be welcome, seasonal and vegetarian if poss.
    The way to a Scotsman's heart is to be a good soup-maker. Scots are extremely fond of soup, and soup making is a skill passed down from mother to daughter. (and son!) The only slightly odd thing about Scots and soup is the propensity for the older generation to refer to soup -and porridge - as "them". I remember going with my sister to an elderly neighbour's for lunch. We were aged about ten and seven. We were told, "If you don't like them, just leave them". We looked at each other, but needless to say, the soup was excellent.

I do make my own soup, but after shopping today I was appalled to note I have 24 tins of Mrs Baxter's soup in my cupboard. Well, it's been on promotion, and it's very handy for lunch at work.

Comment

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
      after shopping today I was appalled to note I have 24 tins of Mrs Baxter's soup in my cupboard. Well, it's been on promotion, and it's very handy for lunch at work.
      And I thought I was bad with a mere 7 tins of Mrs. Baxter's via promotion nestling in my pantry to last me all Winter through!! 24 tins - are you anticipating a siege? Is Alex Salmond encouraging the Scots to stockpile? Goodness, you must have really large cupboards!

I would have thought, you as a Scotsman, would have been au fait with Scotch Broth or Cullen Skink and the liberal annointing with pearl barley of various wholesome stuff?

Comment

Anna, so sorry that I missed the request for the Onion and Celery recipe, which I would gladly have posted !!

I would say that Onion and celery is best as a quick fix soup really, as it is exactly that, ready in an hour tops.

Its a made up as you goa long thing, but roughly:
        A pound of onions chopped. Maybe half a bunch of celery. Bit of garlic to taste, and perhaps a sprinkle of herbs, I might use a bit or oregano, but then I am an oregano nut.

Saute the veg in a decent dash of Olive Oil, (though butter might be even better), for 10 minutes. Then add a pint (or so) of decent stock, chicken or veg, and simmer away for maybe 20 mins.

Blitz with a hand blender, and Bobs your mothers brother.

Bit of French music and French bread, what could be easier.

As I say, perhaps not a rolls royce soup, but dead easy to get ready for, sat, saturday lunchtime. Sorry if the quantities are a bit approximate, but you know how it is.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

The way to a Scotsman's heart is to be a good soup-maker. Scots are extremely fond of soup, and soup making is a skill passed down from mother to daughter. (and son!) The only slightly odd thing about Scots and soup is the propensity for the older generation to refer to soup -and porridge - as "them". I remember going with my sister to an elderly neighbour's for lunch. We were aged about ten and seven. We were told, "If you don't like them, just leave them". We looked at each other, but needless to say, the soup was excellent.

I do make my own soup, but after shopping today I was appalled to note I have 24 tins of Mrs Baxter's soup in my cupboard. Well, it's been on promotion, and it's very handy for lunch at work.

What better reasons could there be ?
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

pearl barley of various wholesome stuff?
            The incomparable Pearl Bailey brings a campy, fresh light to Big Spender. Be sure to listen to the whole thing to hear her finishing touches.

???

Comment

And I thought I was bad with a mere 7 tins of Mrs. Baxter's via promotion nestling in my pantry to last me all Winter through!! 24 tins - are you anticipating a siege? Is Alex Salmond encouraging the Scots to stockpile? Goodness, you must have really large cupboards!

I would have thought, you as a Scotsman, would have been au fait with Scotch Broth or Cullen Skink and the liberal annointing with pearl barley of various wholesome stuff?
              Well, they're big enough to be going on with! Three cans for £2 - for canny (sorry) Scots that's a great bargain. I do make Scotch Broth, with a mutton shank, but it's not as good as mother's, or indeed her late sister's. As far as I know, no sieges are pending.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                Close, but no coconut!

Comment

Soup,is it a meal or is it a drink?

Comment

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                    yes.

Comment

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                      I think the Book of Etiquette has it that one eats soup, so a food, presumably.

(If Scotch Broth is made properly, the spoon should stand up in the plate - so definitely a food!)

Comment

Soup is something I usually have when I'm unwell and not up to eating.

Comment

Well, they're big enough to be going on with! Three cans for £2 - for canny (sorry) Scots that's a great bargain. I do make Scotch Broth, with a mutton shank, but it's not as good as mother's, or indeed her late sister's. As far as I know, no sieges are pending.
                          Down by here we've had four cans of Baxters for £3 - are the Welsh are being shortchanged?

Oh well, as to tinned soups, Heinz are far too loaded with sugar for my taste. I will post my recipe for cawl, which is similar to Scotch Broth, but more delicate, it is not something you can stand you spoon up in, it's a very clear broth full of lamb flavours and leeks.

Comment

We had a lovely beetroot and balsamic soup, from their Finest range. Nearly the same as that famous Russian soup(name and spelling?)
                            Don’t cry for me
                            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                              We had a lovely beetroot and balsamic soup, from their Finest range. Nearly the same as that famous Russian soup(name and spelling?)
                              Borscht, innit

Comment

Working...
                              X