Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thought-provoking insight on cholesterol etc from US heart surgeon

"...without inflammation being present in the body, there is no way that cholesterol would accumulate in the wall of the blood vessel and cause heart disease and strokes. Without inflammation, cholesterol would move freely throughout the body as nature intended. It is inflammation that causes cholesterol to become trapped.

...the recommended mainstream diet that is low in fat and high in polyunsaturated fats and carbohydrates [is] causing repeated injury to our blood vessels. This repeated injury creates chronic inflammation leading to heart disease, stroke, diabetes and obesity.

Let me repeat that: The injury and inflammation in our blood vessels is caused by the low fat diet recommended for years by mainstream medicine.

What are the biggest culprits of chronic inflammation? Quite simply, they are the overload of simple, highly processed carbohydrates (sugar, flour and all the products made from them) and the excess consumption of omega-6 vegetable oils like soybean, corn and sunflower that are found in many processed foods.

Take a moment to visualize rubbing a stiff brush repeatedly over soft skin until it becomes quite red and nearly bleeding. you kept this up several times a day, every day for five years. If you could tolerate this painful brushing, you would have a bleeding, swollen infected area that became worse with each repeated injury. This is a good way to visualize the inflammatory process that could be going on in your body right now.

I have peered inside thousands upon thousands of arteries. A diseased artery looks as if someone took a brush and scrubbed repeatedly against its wall. Several times a day, every day, the foods we eat create small injuries compounding into more injuries, causing the body to respond continuously and appropriately with inflammation."
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Interesting, but not surprising when one considers the longevity of those subsisting on a Meditteranean diet. My grandmother is over 90, still active, still taking a plane to go on her annual holiday in Greece. Olive oil, butter, etc. in moderation have done her no harm. Very little processed food and still cooks for herself each day!

Since living in France, I have found the wonder that is salted butter. Full-fat milk (unhomogenised, so the cream floats to the top) tastes better.

I expect other factors (stress, hereditary) play their part in the damage that leads to inflammation. The cumulative daily stress in modern lives (noise pollution, electronic pollution (work emails, text messages, forums ) and the sedentary nature of modern life (couch potato-isis, lifts in lieu of stairs, cars in lieu of walking) is probably what does most damage to us.
    It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

I always knew I was right to eat the butter and ditch the bread.

Comment

I've never given up butter in favour of polyunsaturates, use olive oil, have full fat milk, ignored the scare story about eggs and cholesterol. Never buy lo-fat yoghurt, it's loaded with sugar that ordinary yoghurt doesn't have (all lo-fat foods are sugar heavy), but as Thropplenoggin says, hereditary factors play a large part.
        Huge stories in the press just now about sugar addiction, not sure if it's a myth but evidently during WW2 when sugar was rationed people were much healthier
        Last edited by Guest; 23-01-14, 16:49. Reason: correcting grammar

Comment

I saw a pamphlet a while ago which outlined what it saw as the massive dangers in homogenised milk.

Didn't make nice reading. Not sure how accurate it is .
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
            I saw a pamphlet a while ago which outlined what it saw as the massive dangers in homogenised milk.
            Didn't make nice reading. Not sure how accurate it is
            And a quick google will reveal research highlighting the dangers of soya milk and all things soya! It is still possible to buy raw milk (not that I've ever had it)
            The real problem that needs to be tackled is obesity, particularly in children and teenagers, the incidence of Type 2 diabetes (usually a middle-age disease) in that age group is staggeringly high.

Comment

As far as I can tell, almost every food is bad for us in some way, and certainly many of the things I like are. I am a bit neurotic about it, but less than I was, because the publicity about various foods is getting so absurd that if I took too much notice I'd starve. I've decided that a good mixed diet with the emphasis on vegetables, and not too much of it, is the only sensible way. I make sure I don't put on weight.

There are a lot of self-appointed nutrition 'experts' online, many slightly mad. Ignore!

Comment

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
                As far as I can tell, almost every food is bad for us in some way, and certainly many of the things I like are. I am a bit neurotic about it, but less than I was, because the publicity about various foods is getting so absurd that if I took too much notice I'd starve.

There are a lot of self-appointed nutrition 'experts' online, many slightly mad. Ignore!
                Exactly so! If you hear that anything is bad for you, wait until next week, and it will be back in favour.

Comment

With this sort of thing you look first for who they are, who they're working for, etc. There doesn't seem to be any information about this bloke's pedigree, and nothing to say who publishes this. Try googling "www.tunedbody.com" without the backslash - still nothing.

As Mary says - ignore. Burns Night on Saturday - haggis, tatties, neaps.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                    Exactly so! If you hear that anything is bad for you, wait until next week, and it will be back in favour.
                    It's quite amusing to take a food and google 'X is good for you' and 'X is bad for you'. Usually a lot of hits on both.

Agree with Mary, don't eat a lot of anything and as much as possible fresh not processed. Don't binge. The larger the helpings, the more exercise to burn off the calories. That probably hedges the bets.

Oh, and always lay your babies face down in their cots! :-)
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                      With this sort of thing you look first for who they are, who they're working for, etc. There doesn't seem to be any information about this bloke's pedigree...
                      At least it's clear he isn't working for the companies producing statins, so heavily promoted at the moment - nor any other drugs, as far as I can see.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                        Oh, and always lay your babies face down in their cots! :-)
                        No! On their backs please!!!

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/redu...k-of-cot-death
                        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

flay I think ff's :-) indicates mischief but ;-) might have been clearer

(You are setting a good example ff. How I wish you would switch of the ghastly & unnecessary emoticans that spew from pupils at Caliban's Kindergarten.)

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                            Remember, as the advice says, cover only the baby's shoulders with a blanket, I.e. leave the head, the arms, legs and torso exposed to the elements.

Comment

We have a song we used to sing when my children (who have both turned out fine and healthy!) were very small
                              to the tune of the "Winster Gallop" and inspired by my enthusiasm for jumping into the freezing cold Scottish sea

Dip your baby in the sea
                              Dip your baby in the sea
                              See how blue her feet can be
                              Dip your baby in the sea

Michael Pollan has the right idea.....

"Eat food, not too much, mostly plants."

Comment

Working...
                              X