Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, there's a thing ...

A bottle of organic Prosecco arrived by special delivery today. My name, my house, my stifying.

I sort of had a hunch, and it would seem that there's a link between my electricity supplier, one of its other customers (suppliers of organic wines) and my bottle of wine. £9.40 worth. And I don't spend a lot on electricity, either
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

How lovely!

Comment

Yes, I googled the name of the company and "free bottle" and it took me to my electricity supplier's website, not the wine company's. They said they were arranging for their customers to get a free bottle if they spent £60 on wine. But I haven't spent anything because I hadn't heard of them.

It may be to do with the government regulations now disallowing certain discounts (mine), so they've sent me a bottle of wine instead Too late if there's a new regulation saying they can't give their customers bottles of wine either.

Anyway, sort of on topic, cava and prosecco are the poor man's champagne, I take it? People seem to serve it up for celebrations these days.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Prosecco has become rather over popular as a lighter sparkling wine . Two problems with it - much of it has become too sweet - the Sainsburys' version for a start ! secondly there has been a considerable extension by the Italian authorities of the land in which it can be sold so there is a lot of cheap Italian swilling about that can now call itself prosecco .

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
          Prosecco has become rather over popular as a lighter sparkling wine . Two problems with it - much of it has become too sweet - the Sainsburys' version for a start ! secondly there has been a considerable extension by the Italian authorities of the land in which it can be sold so there is a lot of cheap Italian swilling about that can now call itself prosecco .
          Any preference between cava and prosecco (in the absence of champagne, of course)?

Comment

The best place to enjoy Prosecco is at the far end of the main street in Taormina, Sicily at a restaurant "Nero d'Avola" where you have been given three olive oils to sample prior to your meal with a Cataretto version of Prosecco to help you choose which oil to keep for the meal... .. but Bristol is pretty nice too.

Comment

I would prefer Prosecco generally as it is lighter and does not have the earthy taste that some Cava can have - Waitrose sell a sound version that is not too sweet and the Tesco Finest used to be made by Bisol which was also good.

Comment

This is the one I received:

I wonder why 'since' is in English. Or is it 'seenchay'?

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                  I would prefer Prosecco generally as it is lighter and does not have the earthy taste that some Cava can have - Waitrose sell a sound version that is not too sweet and the Tesco Finest used to be made by Bisol which was also good.
                  The Wine Society does a lovely cava which is more lemony than most - an affordable drink that is lovely taken al fresco in Springtime

Putting our members before profit, we buy on quality and taste alone so you can enjoy wine at the fairest prices - For you and the people who make it.

Comment

I discovered Prosecco in Italy in the 1990s when I lived in the next valley along from the Piave, the centre of the region where they make it.

A DOC from Treviso is as authentic as you could wish, but I can't explain the 'since'.

Comment

I would've thought that 'prosecco' was one of those IGP protected geographical names or summat.

There was an item on the (Italian) news tonight actually about foreigners (mostly anglosassoni, ehem) abusing the name Barolo I think.

anyways cin cin Frenchie
                      "Gone Chopin, Bach in a minuet."

Comment

Originally posted by clive heath View Post
                        The best place to enjoy Prosecco is at the far end of the main street in Taormina, Sicily at a restaurant "Nero d'Avola" where you have been given three olive oils to sample prior to your meal with a Cataretto version of Prosecco to help you choose which oil to keep for the meal... .. but Bristol is pretty nice too.
                        The piazza in front of the cathedral in Syracuse is a pretty good place, too.

Comment

Anyway it looks as if yours is bona fide DOC prosecco anyway Frenchie.

They're an Italian company although typically they're aiming for the more lucrative export market (hence the use of 'since'), especially with the organic spin.
                          "Gone Chopin, Bach in a minuet."

Comment

Working...
                          X