Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Botanic and other Gardens, Arboretums, Parks, etc

In this case - Kew. I'm not well versed in flower (shrub,etc) gardening. However, I was mightily impressed, on a visit to Kew last summer with the revamped Great Border. It's delightful, packed with plants in swathes. There are boards giving the details (well designed, they don't detrac) but we bought their modest book giving the key to the planting which was well worth it.

I was astonished to note that it had only been planted in the winter of 2015/16, it seemed so well established. It had been some years since I visited Kew and there is plenty more to see, of course - including Kew Palace and the physic garden. (However the Temperate House was closed for restoration (and, I think, still is). One other tip - their closing time - they mean it - we had to find someone to let us out when we weren't so prompt at the gates.

Good photo, from treetop height, about 2/3rds down the page here: http://www.kew.org/kew-gardens/plan-...to-kew-gardens
    and full page here:
    http://www.kew.org/kew-gardens/attra...d-walk-borders
    And also, after years of visiting Edinburgh (for the day, from the Borders) we allocated time to visit the Edinburgh Botanic Gardens. Again, rewarding - and in particular the labelling is excellent.

(Started this thread, because I can't see it would fit in others - in particular, Kew isn't a "Little Gem" - its a big gem in plain sight).
    Last edited by Cockney Sparrow; 26-04-17, 11:15. Reason: Web links

As a member of the Yorkshire Arboretum (near Castle Howard), which Frau and I visit almost weekly, you will understand that we are particularly interested in trees.

I'm particularly interested in native trees, and the extremely rare Sorbus Domestica, which appears to be native, in that there's no evidence that it was brought here by the Romans, Saxons or Vikings, (and definitely not the Americans), but its rarity is a puzzle, so its native authenticity is disputed. I know of one arboretum of native British trees that has decided not to plant a specimen.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      As a member of the Yorkshire Arboretum (near Castle Howard), which Frau and I visit almost weekly, you will understand that we are particularly interested in trees.

I'm particularly interested in native trees, and the extremely rare Sorbus Domestica, which appears to be native, in that there's no evidence that it was brought here by the Romans, Saxons or Vikings, (and definitely not the Americans), but its rarity is a puzzle, so its native authenticity is disputed. I know of one arboretum of native British trees that has decided not to plant a specimen.
      Sorbus domestica is surely not a native tree. There again, its relative, Sorbus tominalis (a favourite of one of our local council tree officers) is held to be an indicator of ancient woodland and is not the most fecund of trees, so maybe ...

Comment

There are a few examples of Sorbus Domestica growing wild in Glamorgan, Gloucestershire and Cornwall. The jury is still out.

Comment

If you are visiting Kew, I strongly recommend a diversion to the RHS garden at Wisley, not very far away (declaration of interest, I used to work there). There is a lot to see, including a very fine glasshouse, a well stocked book and gift shop and a cafeteria. Its nearly ten years since I retired and the then newly planted arboretum must be coming along nicely.

Comment

We have quite a few national Trust properties in my area, including Wakehurst Place, which houses the Kew Seed Bank.
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

This project appears now to have met its nemesis, thankfully:

London Mayor Sadiq Khan tells the Garden Bridge Trust he cannot support the scheme.

To me it would have been unaffordable, would have looked ridiculously out-of-keeping with its context, and would have impeded the historic view downstream from the Waterloo and other bridges and riverside viewing locations.
              Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 28-04-17, 15:30.

Comment

There is an old pub called The Chequers at Kettleburgh in Suffolk which has several Wild Service (Sorbus Domestica) trees around it, the bletted fruit (Chequers) probably used in brewing beer. I'd understood it to be a native tree but on checking(!) find that it isn't.
                Last edited by gradus; 04-05-17, 09:04.

Comment

Dorset:

I was a little bit disappointed with Compton Acres having heard so many good reports but I loved Abbotsbury which while again not quite having the proverbial wow factor is beautifully still and in a wonderful setting next to the sea. But then my preference is for fairly natural gardens which have no obvious boundary with the surrounding scenery:

One of Britain's best-known & loved gardens. A botanical treasure-trove, with charming walled garden, and many exotic and unusual specimens.

Comment

A friend of mine visited Winkworth Arboretum (National Trust property), Godalming/Surrey over the bank holiday weekend, and was very enthusiastic about it. Haven't been myself though.
                    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Not quite a park in the Victorian sense, but one of London's delightful beauty spots, a designated nature reserve I visited this afternoon on a 10 mile cycle ride, involving some arduous struggling with the bike up long flights of steps.

The views afforded looking north on a clear day can be gauged by clicking on the lower of the two photos provided. The atmospheric, well-known Nunhead Cemetary, used I believe for spooky film settings, lies just to the north.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        Not quite a park in the Victorian sense, but one of London's delightful beauty spots, a designated nature reserve I visited this afternoon on a 10 mile cycle ride, involving some arduous struggling with the bike up long flights of steps.

The views afforded looking north on a clear day can be gauged by clicking on the lower of the two photos provided. The atmospheric, well-known Nunhead Cemetary, used I believe for spooky film settings, lies just to the north.
                        Thank you and very well done.

A voluntary bigwig at Nunhead is an ex boss who I didn't get on with but my maternal grandmother, Victoria, is buried at Honor Oak along with other relatives. After many years of not getting round to it, this is the very week that I acquired a serious researcher to explore, initially, her side of the family. Of the four strands it is the one that takes precedence because any international link is likely on the basis of appearance to be found there and that is what I want. Also, she has always without question been the one that regularly sends people towards me. I've know that for 35 years. There is no "other worldy" dimension whatsoever in any other part of my family and she would have been 127 when? Today.

I wonder how many One Tree Hills there are in the world? I am really, really reluctant to name check U2 again because......well, you know.....but I have to confess that there was a time etc with "The Joshua Tree" album. I queued around Fairfield for three hours to get tickets for it live but then, alas, came "Rattle and Hum" and l left them entirely behind until "All That You Can't Leave Behind"! The "Red Hill Mining Town" track was not about the distinct possibility of fracking in the Redhill, Surrey area to my south but it has taken on that connotation while northwards the "One Tree Hill" song which was all Maoris and New Zealand and the death of a roadie, I think, can now be linked with the London you mention.

U2 - One Tree Hill (from The Joshua Tree) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGPQvA4iqLA

(Not the most profound lyric or tune of all time but as with the rest of that project they carved an atmospheric something, albeit then lost in bombast and stadiums very quickly)

See also in Honor Oak Stylee:

Bob Dylan - I Dreamed I Saw St Augustine - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6Ggihst8n0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Drea..._St._Augustine
                        Last edited by Lat-Literal; 07-05-17, 22:48.

Comment

Tenerife! Couldn't have dragged me there a few years ago, but OH insisted this year. Jaw dropping place for gardens, made more remarkable because there are no springs, just a bit of snow melt from the volcanic mountain and water from desalination plants. The Botanical Garden and the Orchid Garden at Puerto de la Cruz are worth a cool, shady look on a hot day, and of particular note for Esteemed Fellow Forumites is the Palmetum at Santa Cruz :¬) Because it's a short walk from the Auditorium

Built on a former landfill site, The Palmetum now contains a collection of palms from around the world. There's a footpath or a lift to the top from where the views are little short of spectacular: the Atlantic on one side, the city and the mountains on the other.

Might go back some time.
                          And the tune ends too soon for us all

Comment

A secret garden, this one. Not really 'botanic' in an academic sense It's an area of old cottages and gardens, including herb gardens, which have been restored and are maintained by the Commune at Douarnenez in Brittany at a tiny coastal hamlet called Plomarc'h. It's really charming, and there are a few animals, including donkeys, for kids to pet. It's free!

Very close by is a Gallo-Roman site, quite well preserved, where sardines were collected in fish-traps , then smoked and processed with herbs to make Garum, a sort of sauce popular at the time.

There's also a farm nearby which seeks to preserve historic breeds of [I think] pigs and sheep.

A magical place. Just a few more pics (!)

Last edited by ardcarp; 05-10-17, 16:41.

Comment

Looking at my area, we have a fondness for Wakehurst Place and Sheffield Park Gardens, WP is owned by Kew Gardens, although the house is owned by National Trust, opr something like that!
                              Don’t cry for me
                              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                              X