Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Dig it up"? Er, #79 above..... ...
    (I didn't notice initially that it was from 5/18...and that red train looks great too...)....

I do enjoy ham occasionally, on my daily (nightly) salad, with Dijon Mustard...(ingredients carefully inspected, recently Edmond Fallot de beaune, can bestir the reluctant appetite...) ... and going back to the picture, the Mizz-Cat loves those fatty white rinds....
    Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 15-01-19, 20:25.

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
      "Dig it up"? Er, #79 above..... ...
      (I didn't notice initially that it was from 5/18...and that red train looks great too...)....
      Ah, yes , favourite journeys. I see even my correction there was wrong. Train went from Budapest Keleti to Munich, but I went as far as Salzburg, not Vienna.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
        wiki may perhaps help here :

"Die Bezeichnung „Teebutter“ für die höchste Qualitätsstufe gibt es seit dem Ende des 19. Jahrhunderts. Im Einklang mit der damaligen Orthographie lautete die ursprüngliche Schreibung „Theebutter“. Als Terminus des Codex Alimentarius Austriacus, des Österreichischen Lebensmittelbuches, ist sie als wörtliche Übersetzung aus dem Deutschen auch in mehreren anderen Sprachen der ehemaligen Habsburgermonarchie belegt: tschechisch čajové máslo, slowakisch čajové maslo, ungarisch teavaj, slowenisch čajno maslo und kroatisch čajni maslac. Die genaue Herkunft des Begriffs ist unklar, sie geht aber vermutlich auf die Sitte des Nachmittagstees im englischen Stil zurück, der als Ausdruck besonders feiner Lebensart galt und zu dem Teegebäck und Butter in feinem Teeporzellan gereicht wurden. Vergleichbare Bezeichnungen für besonders hochwertige Lebensmittel sind beispielsweise Teebäckerei und Teewurst. Es kursieren auch viele andere anekdotische bzw. volksetymologische Herleitungen. So soll die Abkürzung „Tee“ für „Teschener erzherzögliche“ Butter gestanden haben (nach einer Molkerei in Teschen), eine Variante davon ist die Behauptung, dass 1890 bei einer kaiserlichen Tafel Butter mit der Aufschrift T.E.A. für „Teschen Erzherzog Albrecht“ Verwendung gefunden haben soll, woraus in Anlehnung an das englische Wort Tea die Teebutter entstanden wäre. Historische Belege gibt es dafür keine, vielmehr sind diese Erklärungen erst im Nachhinein aufgekommen. In Anklang an das Wort Teebutter entstand jedoch der österreichische Markenname Thea für die seit 1923 in Wien-Atzgersdorf hergestellte Margarine.
        Or alternatively, with the help of some technology

"The term" tea butter "for the highest quality level has existed since the end of the 19th century, in line with the orthography at that time was the original spelling" Theebutter. "As the terminus of the Codex Alimentarius Austriacus, the Austrian food book, it is a literal translation from the German in several other languages ​​of the former Habsburg monarchy occupied: Czech čajové máslo, Slovak čajové maslo, Hungarian teavaj, Slovenian čajno maslo and Croatian čajni maslac.The exact origin of the term is unclear, but it probably goes to the custom of the afternoon tea in the English style, which was the expression of a particularly fine way of life and tea biscuits and butter were served in fine tea porcelain.Similar names for particularly high-quality foods are, for example, tea and biscuit.There are also many other anecdotal or volksetymologische Herle Thus, the abbreviation "tea" for "Teschener Erzherzogliche" butter is said to have stood (after a dairy in Teschen), a variant of which is the assertion that in 1890 at an imperial table butter with the inscription T.E.A. for "Teschen Archduke Albrecht" should have found use, from which would have originated in accordance with the English word Tea, the tea butter. There is no historical evidence for this, but rather these explanations have come up only with hindsight. In response to the word tea butter, however, the Austrian brand Thea originated for the margarine produced in Vienna-Atzgersdorf since 1923.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          Ah, yes , favourite journeys. I see even my correction there was wrong. Train went from Budapest Keleti to Munich, but I went as far as Salzburg, not Vienna.
          Maybe I have been on that train - but in the opposite direction from Prague to Budapest. I don't recall the food being particularly good - indeed I have preferred the breakfast on the trains up and down to Scotland.

The oddest things were pieces of cake we had on a TGV - came in plastic wrappers. By the time we'd opened those "with our bare hands" ***, they bore no resemblance at all to anything like their original shape.

*** possibly helped by a nail file, or a comb ....

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
            Maybe I have been on that train - but in the opposite direction from Prague to Budapest.

It doesn't go to Prague, though. From Budapest it crosses the Hungarian border at Hegyeshalom, thence to Vienna, St Pölten, Linz, Salzburg and Munich. It's still running and I probably got the 07.55 (or similar), RJ 60, since I said I was too early to get breakfast at the hotel, which was only 5 mins away. My memory is that the train was very new in 2009.

It was a double-level train and, if I read my notes correctly - I can't actually remember - there was a 'glass lift' between the levels.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

The oddest things were pieces of cake we had on a TGV - came in plastic wrappers. By the time we'd opened those "with our bare hands" ***, they bore no resemblance at all to anything like their original shape.

*** possibly helped by a nail file, or a comb ....
              You need a miniature Victorinox knife, fits on your key holder, and is a very useful thing to have: two blades and scissors. Those cakes are called, bizarrely, "kek anglaise".

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                It doesn't go to Prague, though. From Budapest it crosses the Hungarian border at Hegyeshalom, thence to Vienna, St Pölten, Linz, Salzburg and Munich. It's still running and I probably got the 07.55 (or similar), RJ 60, since I said I was too early to get breakfast at the hotel, which was only 5 mins away. My memory is that the train was very new in 2009.

It was a double-level train and, if I read my notes correctly - I can't actually remember - there was a 'glass lift' between the levels.
                OK - it wasn't "my" train, but when I saw the photo I recalled a train in a similar colour. The route from Prague to Budapest was odd - with several border crossings which were each taken "seriously" - got a lot of stamps in the passport in next to no time. Probably kept employment up in each of the countries we briefly passed through.

Comment

OK - it wasn't "my" train, but when I saw the photo I recalled a train in a similar colour. The route from Prague to Budapest was odd - with several border crossings which were each taken "seriously" - got a lot of stamps in the passport in next to no time. Probably kept employment up in each of the countries we briefly passed through.
                  Looks as if there is a line going to Prague as well - judging by this video:

Comment

What a mess they are ATM.

Anyway, these days I have a senior railcard, and I seem to be getting the discount on early morning advance tickets, but I’m not really sure why ?
                    I have a first class single with the discount applied to Waterloo next Weds on the 7.05. I can’t see why this qualifies ?
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                      I have a first class single with the discount applied to Waterloo next Weds on the 7.05. I can’t see why this qualifies ?
                      The only reason I can think of - other than some form of incompetence - is that your proposed train doesn’t arrive in the environs of the inner zones until late enough in the morning to avoid the peak fare. Unless your train is really slow, that doesn’t seem likely. Maybe some other rules have changed.

Comment

Working...
                      X