Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hiring a car in France

Just in case anyone's thinking of doing it and booking it in advance from the UK, be warned that you might get stung for a high price.
    For instance to hire a Citroen C3 from Brest for a day, I was quoted £115 on Europcar's English language website. Going straight to the French website (more user-friendly, BTW) I got the same vehicle for 65 Euros. Another tip is to buy in advance a year's car-hire insurance to cover damage, glass breakage, etc. It costs about the same for a whole year as the 'Pack' they will try to sell you at the car hire depot.

The same probably applies to all the major car-hire companies throughout Europe.

Another pricing scam seems to be the prices they charge for hiring a car at a major ferry-port. For instance, it will cost twice as much to pick up a cor from Roscoff as it does from Morlaix, just a bus-ride away.

There was a story about Europcar in The Times just the other day.... Looking for it on the Times search engine, "Your search for Europcar returned 455 results....."

Comment

IIRC it was about the surcharges they apply (it comes off your debit/credit card willy-nilly) for a minor dent or scrape. They were charging far too much for the most minor damage, some of which the hirers were unaware of. This is where the car-hire annual insurance comes in handy.

Comment

I read the title of this thread as Hitting a car in France, and thought, oh my goodness - someone's in trouble! Then I realised I'd left my glasses in the other room!

Comment

FWIW we were very happy with car hire from Bergerac airport from this co http://www.buggscarhire.com/ It's an English co, so no language problems

We acted on recommendation from our English hosts in Perigord who have steered other visitors towards it, with entirely positive feedback.
          I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Looks good LeM-P, but it seems to have a small number of 'locations'...unless I'm missing something.

BTW, isn't Perigueux cathedral a surprise on the skyline? Almost belongs in the Orient.

Perigueux, is a popular and beautiful town in the northern Dordoggne: sightseeing and tourism

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
              Looks good LeM-P, but it seems to have a small number of 'locations'...unless I'm missing something.
              No you're not missing something arcarp - the reason for my saying 'FWIW'
              I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

As I understand it, post-Brexit, if you're from the UK you'll be required to drive on the left in all European countries irrespective.
                Perhaps ensure you hire a left-hand drive car?

Comment

It's not only France where there are issues. For a while I lived in the USA, and would return to the UK for short periods. I found that if I pre-ordered hire cars in the USA for pickup at airport locations I could get a car for a week, whereas if I put the order in in the UK the same money would only get me a car for one or two days from the same locations.

Comment

Hiring a car in Canada

Canadian Affair offered a very reasonable rate for car hire last year when we went; much better than that offered on some of the (well known) company websites.

My only gripe was that in order to hire a car I was required to have a credit card - having managed without one for the previous 35 years or so. I still have it, but have only used it once since!

OG

Comment

Some goods tips here: https://www.travelsupermarket.com/en...r-hire/france/

I've only hired a car once, booked online, pick up and return in Montauban. I thought the firm was called CIT or summat - but can't find it now
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                        As I understand it, post-Brexit, if you're from the UK you'll be required to drive on the left in all European countries irrespective.
                        Perhaps ensure you hire a left-hand drive car?

Reminds me of the story about the couple who change their minds about touring the Continent by car: "You remember what you said about driving on the other side of the road?" "Yes?" "Well, we've been practising, and it's far too dangerous!"

Comment

Working...
                        X