Can You Recommend Ten Places I Should See in the North West?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can You Recommend Ten Places I Should See in the North West?

Outside the Lake District.

Yep....that's the tricky bit...….tsk!

I confess that this is the quadrant of England with which I least identify.

The music history is fantastic and the comedy ain't bad.

But all I have seen is Manchester, twice in the early 1980s, as (a) I spent the night on Lee Robinson's floor and the following afternoon in a nurses' refectory where we couldn't see any nurses behind their cigarette smoke and (b) I was at Old Trafford with Tony Waltham, the astonishing ultimate of a selling out, where I was lifted with exhilaration and apprehension into the air in the rush and pull of the Stretford End before somehow managing to find him again ahead of the suspension on my Mini dropping out as I drove up a verge on the M62.

Ludicrously, I'm contemplating one day trips. That is all I can do given ongoing circumstances. The North East will come first. But I may be in bursts of this in the coming months. I've got Chester and the waterfront at Liverpool on my list. Possibly Shrewsbury. And while this sounds a bit iffy, I'm again after the working class back to back terrace football experience that York in a posh way once gave me. I fancy the idea of Turf Moor being traditional and without overt "corporate-ness" but I feel that the area may not be as I expect to recognise it.

Is it, though, a lot of hassle on public transport for what in effect is a series of five minute "now I have seen it" picture postcards?

It's as upsetting to me that deep down I know Carla Lane will not be there in the reality as it is to think that any Northumberland trip won't be accompanied by Alan Hull.
    Last edited by Lat-Literal; 24-08-18, 15:02.

While you're using public transport the Cumbrian coast line from Carlisle to Lancaster via Barrow is a delight, as are the lines to Newcastle and Settle. I would always want to see the Gormley sculpture "Another Place" on Crosby beach. If it's sunny the Roman Catholic cathedral in Liverpool for the stained glass. The Pre-Raphaelite paintings are well worth searching out in Liverpool and Manchester. If you're on the left side of the spectrum the people's history museum in Salford is definitely worth a trip.

Comment

indeed to train links along the Preston > Barrow routes. Spectacular in almost any weather.
      Grange-over-Sands / Solway firth.
      Try walking the closely guarded secret beauty of Howgill Fells, then Cautley Spout, and drive the western Yorkshire Dales to Hawes - all off M6 jct 37 go east. Excellent eating too.
      Best motorway food in UK by a huge distance is M6 @ Tebay [ and voted such every year] - inventive, try Red Dragon Pie - and the store has excellent locally made produce.

And, yes, of course, Liverpool, then the Lake District.............to be going on with!!
      Bon voyage.

Comment

Since when was Shrewsbury in the North-West? Boundary specifications would be helpful. The NW is basically Cumbria, Lancashire, Greater Manchester, Merseyside and Cheshire. However, the best bits of Cumbria are excluded.

But, here goes:

Cumbria: the Eden Valley, including Appleby.
        Lancashire: Pendle Hill; Lancaster Castle; the Forest of Bowland
        Cheshire: Lyme Park; Alderley Edge; Chester.
        Greater Manchester: Worsley Old Hall.

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
          Best motorway food in UK by a huge distance is M6 @ Tebay [ and voted such every year] - inventive, try Red Dragon Pie - and the store has excellent locally made produce.

Comment

The Ribblehead viaduct - impressive when seen from below and also, of course, when crossed by train.

Comment

Originally posted by nersner View Post
              While you're using public transport the Cumbrian coast line from Carlisle to Lancaster via Barrow is a delight, as are the lines to Newcastle and Settle. I would always want to see the Gormley sculpture "Another Place" on Crosby beach. If it's sunny the Roman Catholic cathedral in Liverpool for the stained glass. The Pre-Raphaelite paintings are well worth searching out in Liverpool and Manchester. If you're on the left side of the spectrum the people's history museum in Salford is definitely worth a trip.
              I helped scatter some of my sister's ashes there. It's where we grew up, and she very much admired the installation. We had chosen a time when the tide was in, and most of the figures were submerged, but rather unfortunately there was a pretty strong breeze, and a fair amount of the ashes ended up covering my trousers and shoes rather than falling into the water! I think she would have laughed: we all did.
              Last edited by Pulcinella; 25-08-18, 09:43. Reason: Typo corrected

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                The Ribblehead viaduct - impressive when seen from below and also, of course, when crossed by train.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                  Since when was Shrewsbury in the North-West? Boundary specifications would be helpful. The NW is basically Cumbria, Lancashire, Greater Manchester, Merseyside and Cheshire. However, the best bits of Cumbria are excluded.

But, here goes:

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                    indeed to train links along the Preston > Barrow routes. Spectacular in almost any weather.
                    Grange-over-Sands / Solway firth.
                    Try walking the closely guarded secret beauty of Howgill Fells, then Cautley Spout, and drive the western Yorkshire Dales to Hawes - all off M6 jct 37 go east. Excellent eating too.
                    Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post

Morecambe Bay
                    Port Sunlight
                    The Walker Art Gallery in Liverpool
                    ???Blackpool??? (I was terribly disappointed a couple of years ago when I last went, so not really a "recommendation"; but if anyone's coming this far, it should be ... err ... "experienced"! And Lytham St Annes is always a gentler restorative!)
                    A walk along a part of the Leeds-Liverpool Canal.
                    Bury Market?
                    The Laurel & Hardy Museum in Ulverston.
                    If you're lucky/not careful (select as applicable) you might bump into Melvyn Bragg on a walk above Wigton in Cumbria (the town itself is avoidable - ironically, there isn't even a bookshop!)
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by nersner View Post
                      I was going to suggest the Lady Lever Art Gallery in Port Sunlight for the Pre-Raphaelites, and indeed the whole village is fascinating piece of social history. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Sunlight

Comment

- and, if you've got that far, Carnforth Railway Station (but don't get anything on your eye: it can cause all sorts of inconvenience!)

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          - and, if you've got that far, Carnforth Railway Station (but don't get anything on your eye: it can cause all sorts of inconvenience!)
                          And if you've got even further, the "Ratty" (as in the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway), pop back on the train, get off at Whitehaven, walk round the rather fine 18th century harbour, visit the rather good Whitehaven Museum (now incorporating the ex-BNFL propaganda rooms from Sellafield), eat lunch there alfresco, back on the train then to Carlisle (Workington really doesn't vaut le détour - sorry) - and back south.

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                            That reminds me - it's time to revisit Victoria Wood's absolutely brilliant parody of 'Brief Encounter'....

Comment

That reminds me - it's time to revisit Victoria Wood's absolutely brilliant parody of 'Brief Encounter'....
                              This one?

Victoria Wood sketch parodying the film Brief Encounter. Buy the DVD, buy all the Victoria Wood DVDs - she's fantastic.

Comment

Working...
                              X