Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last Minute Flights/Journeys/Hotels

I fancy getting away for a few days before Christmas. Just wondering if anyone has any favourite travel sites, etc. to get last minute deals?

Thanks!

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
    I fancy getting away for a few days before Christmas. Just wondering if anyone has any favourite travel sites, etc. to get last minute deals?

Thanks!
    Few days - 1-3 perhaps? UK, Europe or further afield? Expedia - lastminute - also try travelzoo and secret escapes.

Comment

Thanks for that.

Yes, I'm looking at Prague sometime in December. I know of Expedia and Travelzoo; will give secret escapes a look.

Comment

I'm looking at Prague sometime in December.
        I don't know if you've been to Prague in recent years but it's horribly overcrowded with tourists these days. If you're looking for somewhere in central Europe I would recommend Budapest much more highly.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
          I don't know if you've been to Prague in recent years but it's horribly overcrowded with tourists these days. If you're looking for somewhere in central Europe I would recommend Budapest much more highly.
          And while there you might even get a chance to catch a glimpse of Mr Orban.

Comment

Well, I've been there several times in the past year and I've never seen him, I'm glad to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              And while there you might even get a chance to catch a glimpse of Mr Orban.
              Cometh the hour, cometh the man ....

I'm going there soon, so I'll take my autograph book. Or maybe just a selfie with him for Instagram.

Comment

Well, I've been there several times in the past year and I've never seen him, I'm glad to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                  Cometh the hour, cometh the man ....

I'm going there soon, so I'll take my autograph book. Or maybe just a selfie with him for Instagram.

Make sure to forget to take a pen, or he might have it off you!

Comment

Szechenyi Baths and Cafe Gerbeaud are worth a visit

Comment

My super-objective is to get to Dresden. Direct flights from Britain are virtually (or actually) non-existent and Prague is less than a two hour train journey away.

Prague is of interest to me for its Kafka associations, though, so might be worth a look around. I'm aware of the stag parties that favour it as a location.

Comment

My super-objective is to get to Dresden. Direct flights from Britain are virtually (or actually) non-existent and Prague is less than a two hour train journey away.
                        Dresden is definitely worth a visit to be sure.

Comment

Hmm. A few years back I arrived at Prague station, and a taxi driver charged me £16 to drive me round the corner to my hotel. I wasn't used to handling the currency. I hoped to get to Dresden, but didn't make it, but I would recommend Leipzig.
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Dresden is definitely worth a visit to be sure.
                            Not sure where you’re starting from. Ryanair from Stansted to Leipzig is probably best, then take the train to Dresden. Leipzig is really good in December - if you can get to the Bach Christmas Oratorio. The big advantage of Ryanair for that route is it’s a direct flight - no stopover in Munich or Frankfurt.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                              Not sure where you’re starting from. Ryanair from Stansted to Leipzig is probably best, then take the train to Dresden. Leipzig is really good in December - if you can get to the Bach Christmas Oratorio. The big advantage of Ryanair for that route is it’s a direct flight - no stopover in Munich or Frankfurt.
                              I've flown with Ryanair twice and, though the flights haven't been what I'd call pleasant, I've not had the horrendous experience some people speak of. Not flown with them for over ten years, though. Have things changed (apart from the cabin regulations)?

Comment

Working...
                              X