Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Chilterns

Any suggestions for some particularly nice parts, good walks , days out, whatever ?

Thought Greys Court looks like a good place to head for, and take it from there.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

There's a lovely narrow route from Marlow to Watlington with good views, a couple of interesting churches, and a few decent looking pubs (we've been to the one in Christmas Common a few times, but a few years back now).
    Marlow, Frieth, Fingest, Turville, Northend, Christmas Common, Watlington.

Comment

Slightly off the beaten track, but Cookham, near to Marlow and the home of the eccentric artist Stanley Spencer, is well worth a visit for the museum, for the several pubs and eateries, and for the village itself, a charming place. Three of us spent a whole day there a few years ago, and it was a memorable experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        Slightly off the beaten track, but Cookham, near to Marlow and the home of the eccentric artist Stanley Spencer, is well worth a visit for the museum, for the several pubs and eateries, and for the village itself, a charming place. Three of us spent a whole day there a few years ago, and it was a memorable experience.

Seconded.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

Seconded.
          + 1.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Ashridge Estate, Aldbury - 'twixt Ivinghoe and Berkhamstead.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
              Any suggestions for some particularly nice parts, good walks , days out, whatever ?

Thought Greys Court looks like a good place to head for, and take it from there.
              Hiya teamsaint,

What about the Chiltern Hundreds!

Comment

Originally posted by Vespare View Post
                Ashridge Estate, Aldbury - 'twixt Ivinghoe and Berkhamstead.
                Berkhamsted.

Michael Garrick, the leading jazz pianist of his generation who lived there and whom I knew, used to be very punctilious on the correct spelling.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                  Hiya teamsaint,

What about the Chiltern Hundreds!
                  Sounds like a few too many really Stan.

Anyway, all interesting suggestions thanks , so keep them coming.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Berkhamsted.

Michael Garrick, the leading jazz pianist of his generation who lived there and whom I knew, used to be very punctilious on the correct spelling.
                    ... Beorhðanstædæ, surely?

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                      ... Beorhðanstædæ, surely?

No - Mike was no Traddie!

Comment

Berkhamsted.

......And of course Whipsnade Zoo. Far more interesting than London Zoo, but a bit pricey....

Comment

Waddesdon Manor nr Aylesbury. Built by in style of a French chateau by Ferdinand Rothschild. Now NT & managed by Rothschild Foundation.
                          Last edited by Zucchini; 18-05-19, 09:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
                            Waddesdon Manor nr Aylesbury. Built by in style of a French chateau by Ferdinand Rothschild. Now NT & managed by Rothschild Foundation. Wonderful.
                            Vale of Aylesbury, shurely?

Comment

Could try Chenies - manor and church are interesting. Feature in many TV detective programmes.

Then walk down by the river Chess back into Chesham. There's a road, but if you look at maps carefully I think you can find footpaths.

If you go out of Chesham back up the hill past the railway station, then turn right at the top you eventually come to Ley Hill I think, and there are (or used to be) some good pubs up there. Trouble with the pubs is that they change.

Another one is in the Vale. Instead of going up the hill by the railway station follow along Berkhamsted Road to where the road turns right up Nashleigh Hill. Go straight on instead - left of the garage (if it's still there), then a mile or two further on there used to be a good pub for sandwich lunches on the LHS.

IF you were to carry on, there's a route eventually to Tring, which has a couple of interesting features. The Natural History museum in Tring is fascinating, and also the canal round Tring has an interesting flight of locks.

Get your free ticket to visit us in Tring. Our Hertfordshire museum has free events, activities and galleries suitable for the whole family.

Slapton Lock to Northchurch on The Grand Union Canal towpath over Tring Summit at Marsworth Locks and Bulbourne.
                              Last edited by Dave2002; 18-05-19, 17:12.

Comment

Working...
                              X