Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

but have opted for the cruise ship option.
    Well done Alpie. And if you indulge in a smorgasbord on board, be sure to try some Sild, gorgeous pickled herring with a pinkish colour that you can only get to perfection in Norway. If you have the chance to try some Aquavit...the genuine stuff that's crossed the equator in a barrel before being mis en bouteille....take a deep breath first.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      Thank you for all the interesting comments. I’m more than ever aware of just how expensive Norway is. I’ve looked at several options, but have opted for the cruise ship option. Not too many unpredictable bills, and there can be no better way to see fjords than by sailing through them.
      Done this,highly recommended.
      “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

An update on Norway. I've just spoken with my sister who has lived in Norway for all her adult life. The country is in a much more serious state of 'lock-down' than we are here. All schools and colleges are closed. People living away will have to stay where they are and can't go home. Travellers from abroad will all be quarantined. It seems strange that a country with a much smaller population should be taking more drastic measures than us. I asked why this should be so. Apparently although Norway has a small population, the towns in the south of the country (Oslo, Bergen particularly) have a density similar to elsewhere in Europe. And city-dwelling Norwegians tend to travel abroad more on business and for holidays than we do. The latest thing is that the southern town-dwellers deciding to 'self isolate' in their cabins in the mountains are being told to go back home as they're not welcome beyond the Jutenheims as no-one wants the virus up there! Whether that's official govennment policy, I'm not quite sure.

Comment

By one of those quirks of serendipity (hope that's not sounding flippant in the circumstances) I was just looking for a recording of Stravinsky's Four Norwegian Moods to listen to.
          I opted for a Walton compilation instead, but will put the Stravinsky on next after all.

Comment

The cruise has been cancelled. I'm disappointed, but Fred Olsen did the right thing in making an early decision.

Comment

The cruise has been cancelled. I'm disappointed, but Fred Olsen did the right thing in making an early decision.
              Presumably with full refund of deposit etc?

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                Presumably with full refund of deposit etc?
                Doesn't that depend on what's covered by the travel insurance policy in question?

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                  Doesn't that depend on what's covered by the travel insurance policy in question?
                  I would hope (for Alpie's sake) that if Olsen cancelled they would refund without question.
                  Or at least offer alternative dates (sometime in a future when we might all be able to travel again).

Comment

Sorry to hear the cruise you were so looking forward to isn'y going to happen, Alpie. One of the casualties of war, I'm afraid. Do hope you can do it again soon.

Comment

Friends of mine anxious and biting fingernails trying to book return flights!!! Ahem.................

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                          I would hope (for Alpie's sake) that if Olsen cancelled they would refund without question.
                          Or at least offer alternative dates (sometime in a future when we might all be able to travel again).
                          They’ve been extremely good, offering either a full refund or deferred cruise with a bonus.

Comment

Good news!

Comment

Extend your credit cards!
                              Don’t cry for me
                              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

They’ve been extremely good, offering either a full refund or deferred cruise with a bonus.
                                Pleased to hear that - let's hope we are treated as well if any of our booked holidays are cancelled!

Comment

Working...
                                X