Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone going anywhere anytime soon?

Has anyone dared to make plans to visit anywhere now that things look as if they might be easing a bit? Failing that, any dreams?
    Personally, I'm longing to visit the Isles of Scilly. They are part of the UK, though I can well imagine an unofficial blockade.

Nope

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
      Has anyone dared to make plans to visit anywhere now that things look as if they might be easing a bit? Failing that, any dreams?
      Personally, I'm longing to visit the Isles of Scilly. They are part of the UK, though I can well imagine an unofficial blockade.
      Have you been there before? I almost misread this as Sicily, but Scilly is OK. The ferry ride can be dire. Yes, they are worth a visit, though accommodation can be pricey.

Comment

A cousin of mine and his family live in the Scilly Isles and are eager, as are other residents, to rent out their holiday let(s) as soon as is both safe and permitted.

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
          Nope
          Same here. Given the fact that there is still a killer virus out there without a vaccine the relaxations seem to me to be too much, too soon so now is the time to be extra careful and resist the complacency.

All the plans I'd made for my first year of retirement have gone up in a puff of smoke but, as one who doesn't believe a word Johnson says, I'm in no rush to return to 'normal'.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Yep. Planning to go to France in August, possibly Worcestershire in July, and possibly Dorset in August if regulations are eased.

If infection levels go up in those areas, I’ll reconsider, but the current danger levels are pretty low and falling. With reasonable precautions taken, I’m happy enough to accept a very low level of risk, as is my asthmatic OH( not how I usually refer to her, obviously......) .
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

No blockade they’re just waiting for the go ahead from the govt on hospitality for July 4th? - the islands are almost totally dependent on tourism for their income - the dilemma for them is that they have had no cases of covid 19 but if they have no season (with risks involved over infected tourists) they will have no livelihood. Social distancing on the Scillonian and aircraft will also limit the numbers on the islands. We have accommodation booked for September.

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                Same here. Given the fact that there is still a killer virus out there without a vaccine the relaxations seem to me to be too much, too soon so now is the time to be extra careful and resist the complacency.

All the plans I'd made for my first year of retirement have gone up in a puff of smoke but, as one who doesn't believe a word Johnson says, I'm in no rush to return to 'normal'.

Comment

We have a holiday in Cornwall provisionally booked for mid-July, and need to decide for sure (i.e. make payment!) by Friday. Current plan is to go ahead as we have been informed that the holiday cottage will be available.

Had a vague plan to go abroad in October, but won't be booking anything just yet (plane travel seems to me to incur all the main risk factors: close distancing, prolonged duration, no fresh air).

Comment

Not anytime soon. Not this year, any rate,
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

... not really.

For the moment, Xavier de Maistre is your man -

Nicholas Lezard's paperback of the week: This is a witty response to being confined in your room

Last edited by vinteuil; 23-06-20, 11:29.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... not really.

For the moment, Xavier de Maistre is your man -

Nicholas Lezard's paperback of the week: This is a witty response to being confined in your room

....In French?
                        bong ching

Comment

As soon as government restrictions permit, I intend to head off to various locations around England and Wales, 'wild camping' as I go. Then, at the end of October, I am due to go to Berlin for a few days to participate in running workshops connected with the various kinds of activity defined in "A Scratch Orchestra: Draft Constitution". Whether that still happens is a little uncertain.

Comment

Very rural France in August hopefully

Comment

I have this feeling that all the people going to unwise raves and street parties will now have been infected, felt a bit off colour or not but are now immune. Whereas those who have obeyed the rules and stayed out of circulation will be hit by a second wave.

Comment

Working...
                              X