Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mont Saint Michel - magical night-time visit in July and August

I thought it would be good to exchange suggestions for places reasonably within range, which merit a visit if one is in the area, or are worth a special trip.

It occurred to me having had the great experience of returning last week (second time, last time 15 years ago) to

Les Imaginaires du Mont Saint Michel

It's a special night-time opening of the Abbey and Monastery at the top of the Mont Saint Michel, including areas and chambers which aren't normally open to daytime visitors, from 7pm to midnight (last entry 11pm) - with atmospheric lighting and music throughout.

You're free to just wander around, following a general suggested direction... You round a corner and come upon a magical illuminated double cloister; or a huge refectory, lit with hundreds of hanging lights, with a lone flautist playing at the far end; or the Grande Terrasse, a huge open esplanade high up and giving a 180º+ view of the bay... (When I went there in the 90s, there were electrical storms all around, lightning dancing around the horizon was an unforgettable spectacle).

Some of the music is live (there were four good student musicians, I think - flautist, cellist, harpist, violinist, placed at random around the place), some recorded (plain chant; polyphony; some modern ambient stuff... and as you leave through the illuminated gardens, Ravel's 'Jardin féerique' and Holst's 'Venus')

It was amazing to arrive at sunset, then make one's way up through the closed empty streets as night fell, and then just ramble around...

It's open from 11 July to 24 August this year. Adults get in for 10 Euros, 18-25 5 Euros, under-18s free. Parking in the new car-parks in-land plus the shuttle over the causeway is free till 2am. http://www.monuments-nationaux.fr/en...ade-nocturne//

"...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Nice idea for a thread, Cali.

I would have posted my holiday photos of Lee on Solent, but they are still at Supasnaps.

(sorry Cals, couldn't resist!!)
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      Nice idea for a thread, Cali.

I would have posted my holiday photos of Lee on Solent, but they are still at Supasnaps.

(sorry Cals, couldn't resist!!)
      I would have too but mine from last week were bad - got them off the net

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        I would have too but mine from last week were bad - got them off the net
        the MSM pictures are fab. Sounds like a great experience.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
          the MSM pictures are fab. Sounds like a great experience.
          It is great. On this pic you can see top right of the Mount the large terrace mentioned above, the grass-centred cloister and at the bottom right the gardens, via which one exits to Ravel and Holst...

Worth pointing out that, obviously, there's quite a bit of pretty stiff climbing of steps involved in getting up there! I felt it in the old shins the next morning!

Comment

I visited this place in 2003 and was bowled over by it it. Although rarely impressed by tatty souvenirs, I was persuaded to buy a card model (cut out and glue) book. I worked at it for two months before it was completed, such was the detail.

Frau A and I recall one of the finest meals ever in a restaurant there.
            Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 09-08-13, 18:12.

Comment

Tis is a beautiful place to visit - we stayed there for a night or two some years ago.

But please do not go paddling as the tide is coming in.... It is incredible to watch it happening. Frightening.
              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                But please do not go paddling as the tide is coming in.... It is incredible to watch it happening. Frightening.
                Faster'n a galloping horse, so they say in them thar parts, so they do, Mast'r Flay!

Comment

Faster'n a galloping horse, so they say in them thar parts, so they do, Mast'r Flay!
                  But surely this cannot be as dangerous as is portrayed in The Scarlet Pimpernel? The tide may be fast, but it remains shallow.
                  Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 09-08-13, 18:13.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                    But surely this cannot be as dangerous as is portrayed in The Scarlet Pimpernel? The tide may be fast, but it remains shallow.
                    Mais il y a les sables mouvants, mon cher Chauvelin.... ze sinking sands!!!

Comment

So presumably the beach is stable at low tide, but unstable when 2.54 cm of water covers it.
                      Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 09-08-13, 18:14.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                        So presumably the beach is stable at low tide, but unstable when 2.54 cm of water covers it.
                        I am pleased to say I can give no first-hand evidence whatever on the matter!

Comment

I am pleased to say I can give no first-hand evidence whatever on the matter!
                          Well next time you go...

Comment

I don't know how to upload pictures!
                            Don’t cry for me
                            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                              I don't know how to upload pictures!
                              This is covered in the How to? section - inc. the following post by your humble servant

Comment

Working...
                              X