Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Watts Gallery and Chapel

This is as extraordinary a spot as any I know in England, the artistic 'village' near Compton (between Guildford and Godalming) centred on the work of G.F. Watts OM RA (1817-1904).

The newly-restored gallery of his works and the library are interesting enough, but for me the gem is the Chapel - intriguing orange brick on the outside, a colourful kaleidoscope of art nouveau, Celtic, Romanesque and Egyptian design inside. First time I went in, I didn't know what to expect and it literally took my breath away.

As Lucinda Lambton says: ‘It is no exaggeration to say that the Watts Cemetery Chapel is one of the most beautiful, one of the most extraordinary, original, marvellous and magical buildings in the whole of the British Isles!’

In the words of Monsieur Michelin: ça vaut le détour!
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Thanks for the reminder. I have very fond memories of visiting Watts many years ago and must have some photos somewhere. I am reminded of another couple of surprising Victorian delights - The Italianate Church at Wilton and a more recent discovery, All Saints Selsley, near Stroud with Burne-Jones windows... and the marvellous St Peter's, Bournemouth, where we also stumbled upon Constantin Silvestri's grave.

Comment

Speaking of art nouveau churches, St Mary's, Great Warley, midway between Brentwood and Upminster and to the east of London, was mentioned by Lucinda Lambton in one of her off-the-well-trodden-pathways telly programmes in the 90s. Part of the Heseltines' estate - Philip Heseltine (aka Peter Warlock) used to play the organ there - the church, which sadly doesn't run regular services any more, is located in lovely countryside - a ten minute walk up to Great Warley village will find you seeking refreshment at the Thatchers Arms.

Comment

Working...
      X