Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    Not all old buses were nice, though they may seem quaint and quirky now. Crosville, which operated around Liverpool, had some double deckers with a weird staggered arrangement of seats on top. There was a side aisle on the right, with the zig-zag seats going over to the left side of the bus. The Liverpool Corporation buses were larger, with better headroom and a central aisle. I can't remember wheher any other bus companies had buses with such a curious upper deck layout. Ribble also operated around Merseyside, with routes going towards Southport, but I think they had a simpler layout upstairs.

Of course smoking was allowed upstairs, so it got pretty mirky some days, particularly in the winter, when the windows were closed.
    I seem to remember a strange type of bus which occasionally appeared on the outer London green buses (409 to West Croydon) which had the rather impractical design of a side gangway upstairs with four seats next to each other - most inconvenient for those on the inside wishing to get out. It must have been late 50s when I was at primary school.

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
      I seem to remember a strange type of bus which occasionally appeared on the outer London green buses (409 to West Croydon) which had the rather impractical design of a side gangway upstairs with four seats next to each other - most inconvenient for those on the inside wishing to get out. It must have been late 50s when I was at primary school.
      Yes! They had these in Lanarkshire (Central SMT?) in the early-mid 60s.

Comment

The reason those buses were quirky, Dave, was because they were lowbridge models, so that they could pass under low bridges, and in those days the only way to achieve this was by lowering the aisle floor of the upper deck [almost on to the heads of the hapless passengers on the lower deck]. That was the reason for the four-abreast seating on the nearside, which people usually spread out three to a seat, until someone in Yorkshire designed the staggered style of seating which you mention, thereby forcing passengers into their own little bit of seat.

I'm sorry, I haven't explained that at all well, but I expect that you will get the drift. Phew! I'm all hot and bothered - it's turned really warm again in these far-flung climes.
        Money can't buy you happiness............but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery - Spike Milligan

Comment

Originally posted by alycidon View Post
          The reason those buses were quirky, Dave, was because they were lowbridge models, so that they could pass under low bridges, and in those days the only way to achieve this was by lowering the aisle floor of the upper deck [almost on to the heads of the hapless passengers on the lower deck]. That was the reason for the four-abreast seating on the nearside, which people usually spread out three to a seat, until someone in Yorkshire designed the staggered style of seating which you mention, thereby forcing passengers into their own little bit of seat.

I'm sorry, I haven't explained that at all well, but I expect that you will get the drift. Phew! I'm all hot and bothered - it's turned really warm again in these far-flung climes.
          Clearly without a life, I followed that comment up - http://www.flickr.com/photos/41105998@N08/8410759923/

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
            Clearly without a life, I followed that comment up - http://www.flickr.com/photos/41105998@N08/8410759923/
            Yes, gurnemanz, that says it rather more succinctly than I was able to do in my hot state. It was not generally realised that operators had no choice but to take these models if they had low bridges in their territory - which most did. I grew up in Bristol where we only had a handful of these which were specific to certain routes, so I very rarely had to use them.

The prototype Lodekka of 1949 signalled the end of the lowbridges. The Lodekka achieved a much lower height overall by the use of a divided prop shaft which allowed the floor to be lower - as I understand it - I'm not mechanically minded!
            Money can't buy you happiness............but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery - Spike Milligan

Comment

Originally posted by Bax-of-Delights View Post
              And for those still tuning in...

This is one I caught at Kingston garage back in 1961 - in fact it may well be exactly the same bus. The TD class.

http://www.classicbuses.co.uk/TD.html
              Most nostalgic that shape, BoD

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                Not all old buses were nice, though they may seem quaint and quirky now. Crosville, which operated around Liverpool, had some double deckers with a weird staggered arrangement of seats on top. There was a side aisle on the right, with the zig-zag seats going over to the left side of the bus. The Liverpool Corporation buses were larger, with better headroom and a central aisle. I can't remember wheher any other bus companies had buses with such a curious upper deck layout. Ribble also operated around Merseyside, with routes going towards Southport, but I think they had a simpler layout upstairs.

Of course smoking was allowed upstairs, so it got pretty mirky some days, particularly in the winter, when the windows were closed.
                Crosville ran buses in North Wales (Wrexham) for a long time (Arriva these days). When I was about three my great aunt took me to Liverpool to visit relatives in Huyton. We got on the ferry at Birkenhead & I immediately felt seasick. We got on a double decker in Liverpool exactly as you describe it & I was sent up first. The bus gave a lurch as I got to the top and I was hurled forwards and found myself under the seats at one point. I emerged triumphant with a mint imperial that I'd found but was forced to give it up as it had acquired a furry coating on its journey

They say travel broadens the mind

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                  I emerged triumphant with a mint imperial that I'd found but was forced to give it up as it had acquired a furry coating on its journey

Enjoyed that.
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Thanks, Caliban. I drove buses for a few years, and playing with my Setright was the high spot of each shift!
                    There's a nice Setright being deployed (inc. some sexy close-ups!!) on a Birkenhead bus route by Paul O'Grady in this rather good programme, on this evening and iPlayer-able subsequently:

Paul O'Grady takes a personal journey through the history of the British working classes.

Loved his banter with the women on the bus - and the driver ("Yer braked a bit sharp there didn't yer? Had me slidin' down that aisle like a whippet on lino...!" )

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                      There's a nice Setright being deployed (inc. some sexy close-ups!!) on a Birkenhead bus route by Paul O'Grady in this rather good programme, on this evening and iPlayer-able subsequently:

Paul O'Grady takes a personal journey through the history of the British working classes.

Loved his banter with the women on the bus - and the driver ("Yer braked a bit sharp there didn't yer? Had me slidin' down that aisle like a whippet on lino...!" )
                      Thanks, Caliban. If nothing else your link has taught me what iplayer is - I've often wondered! My problem is that I have very little volume on my computer - I'll have to get it sorted - and I can only listen through an earpiece.

I've recorded Paul O'Grady's programme to watch in the next couple of days - I'm sure that it will be interesting, but POG really grinds my gears!

Comment

POG really grinds my gears!
                        Oh dear...! I think he's capable of being very funny when he puts on the 'Scouse strumpet' act - which he does as a 'clippie' on the bus route. Do watch and let us know what you think.

On another topic, this thread reminded me that when small I had a model bus in Ribble colours - what a fetching cream-and-red livery it was....

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                          [COLOR="#0000FF"]Oh dear...! I think he's capable of being very funny when he puts on the 'Scouse strumpet' act - which he does as a 'clippie' on the bus route. Do watch and let us know what you think
                          I've watched the programme, and enjoyed the content - especially the bus scenes, but oh, dear! I really can't stand POG's voice - or his sense of humour, for that matter. We watched all 'for the love of dogs' [being doggie people], but found his voice hard to take, even for thirty minutes.

I'm sorry Caliban, I know that will peeve you, but POG does have some redeeming features - like the fact that he's invariably smartly turned out - and isn't afraid to wear a tie!

Thank you too, for the link to the Ribble bus - it's not a company with which I am particularly familiar, although we did have the Gay Hostesses arriving in Bristol at around the time I was on my way to school. [The Gay Hostess was an overnight luxury double decker service which ran from, I think, Preston to Bristol each night]. That's just for all you young people who don't know!
                          Last edited by alycidon; 17-08-13, 11:14. Reason: Added 'smiley' icon!

Comment

I've watched the programme, and enjoyed the content - especially the bus scenes, but oh, dear! I really can't stand POG's voice - or his sense of humour, for that matter. We watched all 'for the love of dogs' [being doggie people], but found his voice hard to take, even for thirty minutes.

I'm sorry Caliban, I know that will peeve you, but POG does have some redeeming features - like the fact that he's invariably smartly turned out - and isn't afraid to wear a tie!

Thank you too, for the link to the Ribble bus - it's not a company with which I am particularly familiar, although we did have the Gay Hostesses arriving in Bristol at around the time I was on my way to school. [The Gay Hostess was an overnight luxury double decker service which ran from, I think, Preston to Bristol each night]. That's just for all you young people who don't know!

Not peeved at all But that dog prog did look awful (he said, not having watched a second of it...)

Your explanation of the Gay Hostesses was most welcome!

How language changes...

Of course: there is a website! Not at all what one might expect from the link!

http://www.gayhostess.co.uk/index.html

Comment

Nice website, Cali, and the vehicles were, of course, the Leyland Atlantean which was just becoming popular in the early sixties. I'd had experience of them from 1957/58 as we always went to Brixham for our summer holiday, and Devon General were one of the first companies to take them. Service 12 linked Brixham with Newton Abbot, and travelling on them was one of the highlights of the holiday! Happy days!

Comment

Working...
                              X