Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gordon View Post
    Back in Alvar Lidell's day no one thought much about this sort of issue; he was male, obviously speaking the language of those "in control", the officer class. What about Brian Sewell for Breakfast!!
    I don't think one would want either now. If Alvar Liddell had been born several generations later, I doubt he would have sounded the same, even if his circumstances had been the same. He spoke how people spoke then - Brian Sewell speaks how Brian Sewell speaks and no one else does. His accent is so extreme, it sounds unnatural and thus grates.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      I don't think one would want either now. If Alvar Liddell had been born several generations later, I doubt he would have sounded the same, even if his circumstances had been the same. He spoke how people spoke then - Brian Sewell speaks how Brian Sewell speaks and no one else does. His accent is so extreme, it sounds unnatural and thus grates.
      Not unnatural at all - just echt Brian Sewell

Comment

Can I just put in a word for the annual Southport Flower Show to which my father would go each year, along with the Flower Show at Shrewsbury, in the hope of meeting Percy Thrower. Attendance by yours truly in khaki shorts most likely was compulsory and explains a lot about my attitude to flower shows today - murder for hay-fever sufferers

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
          Not unnatural at all - just echt Brian Sewell
          I said it sounds unnatural - because for most other people, it would be unnatural. It is certainly echt Sewell - and he's on record as saying he dislikes his accent - "so prissy'"... I agree .
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            I said it sounds unnatural - because for most other people, it would be unnatural. It is certainly echt Sewell - and he's on record as saying he dislikes his accent - "so prissy'"... I agree .
            The two volumes of his autobiography that have been published so far are fascinating and well written. He's a real-lefe Cheshire cat in many ways

Comment

Working...
            X