Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free plant identifier app

Any recommendations? I have been using Candide for several years, but the app is now apparently "not supported by this device". Searching for the app on Google Play reveals no result.​

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
    Any recommendations? I have been using Candide for several years, but the app is now apparently "not supported by this device". Searching for the app on Google Play reveals no result.​
    I'm been pretty satisfied with PlantNet. I often test it on plants I know and it's always been right. It's free, no adverts but occasionally asks for a voluntary donation - which I think is worth it. I've also used LeafSnap, free but does have ads which have to be regularly closed.

With the Pl@ntNet app, identify one plant from a picture, and be part of a citizen science project on plant biodiversity
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Thanks, FF. I've also been recommended it on another forum and will give it a go. Google Lens has also been recommended.

Comment

Picture This is excellent. Love it. BUT they are good at getting you to subscribe to the monthly paid for service.
        this can be avoided by checking the app carefully.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Don't know about the others, but with PlantNet you can confirm that the identification is correct, and then share your photos and identification, I presume to go into the database.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Often, especially after the Winter Layoff, I am flummoxed by a plant that I know I know but simply can't remember. One of these Apps is exactly what I need, many thanks for the prompts.

Comment

Originally posted by gradus View Post
              Often, especially after the Winter Layoff, I am flummoxed by a plant that I know I know but simply can't remember. One of these Apps is exactly what I need, many thanks for the prompts.
              Yes - during the Covid lockdowns we did a lot of walking locally and began to notice more of the flora on our walks, wondering what they were. The Candide app was recommended to me by a friend (online - no F2F contact involved!) and was extremely useful.

This gives details - I note (but didn't realise) this was a Bristol-based endeavour.

Comment

So Candide is no more. It seems to have been a 'gardener's' app, whereas my interest was in wildflowers (though PlantNet seemed identify garden plants too). I've probably got room for two or three other apps on my phone - though in the end I'll probably gravitate towards the one that seems best to me. It's good to have free apps, but if I use an app or service I feel an obligation to donate voluntarily if asked.

Comment

Working...
                X