X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    On a lighter note, I think I may have mentioned somewhere on this forum in the past that when my oversized silver birch (some 30 metres from base to very top) finally gave in to honey fungus, I got the relevant approval from the Tree Officer to have it taken down. Part of the approval required replacing the tree. A choice of Rowan, Fastigiate Hornbeam or another species I forget, was cited. When I suggested I would prefer a normal wild Hornbeam to the cultivated fastigiate type, my suggestion was greeted with glee. It seems most residents want ornamentals. I had in mind a sapling which was in the line of a new road construction and was to be bulldozed within the next few days. The transplantation involved a move of less than half a mile, so it was given the nod. It took well and has continued to prosper.

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
      It is indeed!
      No need to guess where it is, as I shall own up, and thank ts for posting the picture for me (though after his later revelations I'm not sure we should be associating with him!). I have not mastered the art of posting images on the forum; indeed, even trying to send a better image by email yesterday failed.

Our estate rules prohibit us from planting any trees, so the amelanchier was a great option for our new back garden. It was planted in early 2018 (though as a mature specimen) and has done remarkably well. The blossom is followed by dark red to black fruit/berries, which the blackbirds adore, and the foliage turns red in autumn, so it is a shrub that serves its purpose of providing interest during the year very well.
      Amelanchiers can be small trees...Admittedly not usually from the kind of shrubby growth you have on yours. I had one in a previous garden to take over from the winter flowering cherry's season, which worked well. I did manage to sample the berries occasionally before the birds got them, and they were pleasant.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Finally, habemus answer.

The small thing, now 5 feet high is alnus cordata, the Italian alder, which breezed in on the winds from the nearby common where I noticed one this morning on my morning walk. I had no idea what it was but the city council had BCC-67624 logged and identified online.

The only problem is that it's fast growing (5' in 2 years and I ain't seen nothing yet) and can reach 36' or more - somewhat out of scale for my 15' x15' back yard. Perhaps I could offer it back to the council, since they seem to value their 3 specimens at £5,000 apiece?

I had 3 separate suggestions of Downy birch which I wasn't convinced by. But they weren't that far off since alnus belongs to the birch family, Betulaceae.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          Finally, habemus answer.

The small thing, now 5 feet high is alnus cordata, the Italian alder...
          ... and thus French Frank is revealed as la Reine des Aulnes

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            Finally, habemus answer.

The small thing, now 5 feet high is alnus cordata, the Italian alder, which breezed in on the winds from the nearby common where I noticed one this morning on my morning walk. I had no idea what it was but the city council had BCC-67624 logged and identified online.

The only problem is that it's fast growing (5' in 2 years and I ain't seen nothing yet) and can reach 36' or more - somewhat out of scale for my 15' x15' back yard. Perhaps I could offer it back to .he council, since they seem to value their 3 specimens at £5,000 apiece?

I had 3 separate suggestions of Downy birch which I wasn't convinced by. But they weren't that far off since alnus belongs to the birch family, Betulaceae.
            You could always keep it and pollard it when it gets too tall for you.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
              ... and thus French Frank is revealed as la Reine des Aulnes
              Damn, I was hoping to keep my identity a secret. I see they say l'aulne à feuilles en cœur has been introduced as an ornamntal tree in parks in France too.

Bryn, I have seen it described as a "shrub" and was thinking that when this lousy war is over I could get a large tub and at least take it out of the border, where its roots can spread unconfined.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Crumbs, the council's website had a link 'Email the tree', so feeling rather foolish I emailed BCC 67624 to tell them the story of my seedling and the tree has just replied:

"That's a lovely story - I'll add it to the tree's story . Your email is very relavant [sic] to one of Bristol Tree Forum's ideas. We have been thinking about a scheme for encouraging people to grow trees from seed and then find homes for them, either via the council or other organisations. Obviously planting is over til next winter so you are stuck with it for a while. Indeed the bigger you can grow it , the better chance it will have of establishing. We will keep you posted about progress on this idea.

Thanks for getting in touch

Yours
                BCC 67624 (aka Chris Xxxxx)"

Comment

Working...
                X