Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garlic/onion white rot

I lifted the garden garlic crop this morning having seen several bulbs' foliage die back in the last 2 weeks and behold about one third are affected by white rot -not beyond rescue but not keepers. Very odd as the ground has not grown garlic or onions in living memory, could it be carried on the bulbs when planted?

Originally posted by gradus View Post
    I lifted the garden garlic crop this morning having seen several bulbs' foliage die back in the last 2 weeks and behold about one third are affected by white rot -not beyond rescue but not keepers. Very odd as the ground has not grown garlic or onions in living memory, could it be carried on the bulbs when planted?
    From RHS site.

. It is transported in contaminated soil, for example on tools or on muddy footwear. Take particular care in areas where cross contamination can occur easily, for example on allotments.
    White rot is a serious fungal disease of onions, garlic and leeks causing yellowed, wilting foliage and decay of the roots and bulb. It may persist in the soil for many years.

Onions were one of the first crops I gave up growing because of the disease.

Comment

Working...
    X